Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this that infamous storm where ACY wound up with a major blizzard at 20 inches and KNYC wound up with 20 flurries and areas as near as S.I had 3-6?

Yup that was the famous Snowmageddon for DC, Baltimore and Philly. If I'm not mistaken the largest snow gradient on record between NYC and PHL in a single storm. ~20" at PHL, T at NYC.

Yup that was the famous Snowmageddon for DC, Baltimore and Philly. If I'm not mistaken the largest snow gradient on record between NYC and PHL in a single storm. ~20" at PHL, T at NYC.

how could anyone look at this radar image and not think nyc is about to get nailed

NortheastRadar_20100206-03Z.gif

2/6 was the one time long beach did way better then the rest of the area (long island) with several inches of wind blown powder (hard to measure) 7 miles Ne at my current local nada

As interesting as that storm is its a horrible analog

I remember walking down to the boardwalk, looking out at all the container ships out at sea, and thinking, those ships probably have twice as much snow on their decks lol

The nam nailed it the GFS with it's lower resolution was much further north, nobody ever bought the nam would be correct as a matter of fact most thought the GFS would verify too far south hence upton going 3-5 for NYC but being unsure since it could be nothing or double that

Some mets posted maps with Middlesex co of 8-12, in the end southern Middlesex did alright, but northern was only a couple inches. It was painful. A few days later we got a foot or so.Indeed central NJ was in the shaft zone most of that winter, but what a shaft...3 storms over a foot!

I was working at OKX that day and also remember looking at the NAM with forecasters leading up to the event and wondering if it could be right with that insane cutoff. As a snow lover, it was pretty painful to experience with good bands up to the immediate south shore of LI, southern BK, SI and Union County NJ and heavy snow in Monmouth County. The vertically pointing radar at Stony Brook University had at least a 9hr long virga storm, with only a few periods where the snow survived through the dry layer. NYC conceivably could have ended up over 50" that February if not for the near miss on 2/6/10.

At the time many thought it cost us the 95-96 record but I don't think so, we'd have needed 25 inches or so from it which with even a 80-100 mile shift we may not have gotten probably would have fallen just short.

Excruciating & disappointing.  Let's wishcast that something like this does not happen again :).

Excruciating & disappointing.  Let's wishcast that something like this does not happen again :).

One of the surprises was how bad Pitt got nailed; this was one huge system and it just sat there. Broke snowfall records that Philly and DC will likely not see for a century, and eclipsing NYC's 96 with room to spare.

I see a west based nao showing up on the models before the event. Interesting.

end of the week threat? that thing may be our encore for the winter. cold air really isn't there but imagine if that thing we're to bomb out it would pull down some cold and with a "progged" west based -nao that would be a big help

Archived