joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm HPC likes the southern guidance.  PV is on roids.

this looks to 100 % snow from Central NJ north - Upton forecasting periods of  snow no snow accumulation Monday with temps in the 20's is insanity at its worst especially after they are mentioning the possibility of over 8 inches of snow . now we know why people get confused

Is blue snow?

This a QPF chart which shows accumulated liquid. .75 inches with 10:1 ratios yields roughly 7.5" of snow and if its colder the ratios go up and more snowfall you'll recieve.

Example the 1/3 storm this year some got almost 15" with ratios of 20:1 and temps in the single digits with around .5-.6 qpf

For the EPS control run you can tack on about another 0.10-0.20" over what the numbers I posted for the mean except for the LHV which was the same. Snow maps show 6-8" for the I-80 corridor, 10"+ for central NJ and touching the south shore of LI. <6" LHV and nothing north of Boston. 6-10" for southern NJ and 6"+ for central and northern DE.

7 inches aint bad. my car can handel that no problem... i was worried we were getting like 2 feet or something

No the QPF chart by HPC looks too dry compared to guidance today which argues for 10"+ around NYC and south shore of LI. Not everyone is going to be on the same page however. Prepare for upwards of 10-12" which is still a good bit.

Bit of advice as well- try using proper english and asking educated and well thought out questions to avoid flaming. You first few posts were nothing short of ball busting material, oh P.S. weather channel blows chunks :lol:

Upton saying only light snow accumulations - but they say the qpf will be 1 inch ???

FPUS51 KOKX 272017  

ZFPOKX  

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY  

317 PM EST THU FEB 27 2014  

NYZ072-280930-  

NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-  

317 PM EST THU FEB 27 2014  

SATURDAY NIGHT  

CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT.  

LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH...BECOMING WEST  

AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.    

SUNDAY  

INTERMITTENT LIGHT SNOW. LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN  

THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.    

SUNDAY NIGHT  

PERIODS OF SNOW. ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION.  

LOWS AROUND 20. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.    

MONDAY  

PERIODS OF SNOW. LITTLE OR NO ADDITIONAL SNOW  

ACCUMULATION. COLD WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW  

80 PERCENT.    

MONDAY NIGHT  

PERIODS OF SNOW. COLD WITH LOWS 5 TO 10 ABOVE.  

CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 5 BELOW.    

TUESDAY  

PARTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING. HIGHS IN  

THE UPPER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW 30 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW  

AS 10 BELOW IN THE MORNING.    

TUESDAY NIGHT  

Yeah Obviously playing it off VERY conservatively actually too conservatively for what has been shown today. On other hand the Radio is already on the hype train with storm calling it winter storm Titan. 

Yeah Obviously playing it off VERY conservatively actually too conservatively for what has been shown today. On other hand the Radio is already on the hype train with storm calling it winter storm Titan. 

I think their monday forecast was a typo or something how do you get little of no accumulaiton with temps in the low 20's with periods of snow forecasted ? I can see getting little or no accumulations with temps in the low 30's but not low 20's

A snowstorm on March 2nd or 3rd is nothing new for some great winters...March 2nd 1996 had 4.6"...That broke the record for seasonal snowfall in NYC...March 2-3, 1994 had 5" of snow and sleet...March 3rd 1978 had 5"...1969 had a 2.8" event on the 3rd but eastern L.I. got nearly a foot and Port Jervis N.Y. got 31" from a snow band for the ages...

A snowstorm on March 2nd or 3rd is nothing new for some great winters...March 2nd 1996 had 4.6"...That broke the record for seasonal snowfall in NYC...March 2-3, 1994 had 5" of snow and sleet...March 3rd 1978 had 5"...1969 had a 2.8" event on the 3rd but eastern L.I. got nearly a foot and Port Jervis N.Y. got 31" from a snow band for the ages...

OMG Uncle 31 inches from a deform band while rest of area only saw 1 ft maximum??! am I understanding correctly?

OMG Uncle 31 inches from a deform band while rest of area only saw 1 ft maximum??! am I understanding correctly?

yea when it happened I couldn't believe it especially when Brooklyn got shafted between heavy bands...The local weather almanac at the time said there was a "super imposed jet stream over that area"...

His Airport code in his profile is "POOP" LOL

His Airport code in his profile is "POOP" LOL

Obviously someone just trying to get a rise out of poople...err people here

Anyway, here are some of my  thoughts on this system.

1.There is no room IMO for the amplification that the Euro was showing yesterday, my main concern is and will be suppression/and dry air eating on the northern side of the precip shield.

2. Be careful assuming that Hp to the north means higher ratios, that is a SFC high and will only aide in keeping the surface colder

3. That PV means business and that confluence to the north is nothing to laugh at, this is also why I expect a solution most consistent with where the models seem to be today. Also, i'd be very cautious accepting such long durations/and waves towards the end, the PV will likely shear this out pretty quickly and I think we are left with an 18-24 hour event and even that may be pushing it in the end.

4. I can't say i'm entirely thrilled at the setup, yes there is a massive storm crashing into the west coast but what I think we are left with by the time it gets here is a shearing out system that will provide us with a significant overrunning event and probably not too much more than that.

5. Im reluctant(very much so) to start throwing numbers around but if I were to guess on where we were with this system id place the heaviest (6-12) running from WMd thru SEPA thru the tri state with a significant cutoff north of NYC and south of PHL.

Obviously someone just trying to get a rise out of poople...err people here

Anyway, here are some of my  thoughts on this system.

1.There is no room IMO for the amplification that the Euro was showing yesterday, my main concern is and will be suppression/and dry air eating on the northern side of the precip shield.

2. Be careful assuming that Hp to the north means higher ratios, that is a SFC high and will only aide in keeping the surface colder

3. That PV means business and that confluence to the north is nothing to laugh at, this is also why I expect a solution most consistent with where the models seem to be today. Also, i'd be very cautious accepting such long durations/and waves towards the end, the PV will likely shear this out pretty quickly and I think we are left with an 18-24 hour event and even that may be pushing it in the end.

4. I can't say i'm entirely thrilled at the setup, yes there is a massive storm crashing into the west coast but what I think we are left with by the time it gets here is a shearing out system that will provide us with a significant overrunning event and probably not too much more than that.

5. Im reluctant(very much so) to start throwing numbers around but if I were to guess on where we were with this system id place the heaviest (6-12) running from WMd thru SEPA thru the tri state with a significant cutoff north of NYC and south of PHL.

I agree with all your points but I'm encouraged by the modeling generally becoming better organized with the southern vort.

I agree with all your points but I'm encouraged by the modeling generally becoming better organized with the southern vort.

Yes, perhaps I should have worded it differently. I don't want to make it seem like I'm saying that it's just going to dissipate. I guess my point there is that I would not expect this to turn into a coastal like situation. I'm still on the fence about going for the banding associated with a stronger LP system I guess would be what I'm saying.

Archived