• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

Went back and found the infamous HPC message...

INITIALIZATION ERRORS IN NUMEROUS DIAGNOSTIC

QUANTITIES...INCLUDING HEIGHT/VORTICITY FIELDS/RH...ARE EVIDENT IN

BOTH THE 12Z NAM/GFS WITH SMALL BUT LIKELY SIGNIFICANT SHORTWAVE

TROUGHS OVER SOUTH DAKOTA/NEBRASKA ALONG WITH

SASKATCHEWAN/MANITOBA...WITH THESE AREAS ALSO NOT PARTICULARLY

RESOLVED OR PREDICTED WELL BY THE 00Z ECMWF. THUS...THE SPECIFIC

PREDICTIONS BY ALL DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE ARE IN QUESTION...WITH

THE RECOMMENDATION TO FOLLOW CONTINUITY...WITH THE FINAL OUTCOME

MOST BELIEVED TO LIE BETWEEN THE 06Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF.

Yea but they flat out tossed the nam and gfs runs before that

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping it doesn't melt with the sewers and tunnels being all warm and whatnot in March

We all know the sun will turn from being a relative cinder yesterday when snow stuck to roads in Midtown in the late morning, to a twelve trillion degree blast furnace on Monday, and it will turn the Earth into a smoldering magma pit. The second the calendar makes it to March 1st, it's over for snow accumulations. :(

Seriously, chill out.

Yea but they flat out tossed the nam and gfs runs before that

That was from the 12z runs that day. The NAM was still OTS and the GFS came way west, for the first time. You can go back and look for yourself.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/5724-nycphl-dec-26-27-potential-part-5/page-8

That was from the 12z runs that day. The NAM was still OTS and the GFS came way west, for the first time. You can go back and look for yourself.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/5724-nycphl-dec-26-27-potential-part-5/page-8

Ooooo I thought this was the following day when the 6z gfs still had a hit and the 0z euro was ots

The "trend" of 12z is further south and colder.  I think the 12z Euro run takes the warm threat off the table for serious consideration in the metro area.  Systems this week have been further south than 5-7 day modeling had been showing.  I think full suppression is unlikely for NYC, but the Northern burbs being fringed by the north of the precip field is a viable concern.

One thing's for sure, this is going to be one hugely wet storm for California, this is really a Nino like storm and pattern in general. Good for them, they need the rain. Makes me think there will be tons of liquid equivalent this way as well once the Gulf also gets tapped. The QPFs on models may go up as time goes on.

One thing I noticed-the low is expected to enter CA down by maybe Santa Maria. That means the storm will exit the East around Charleston, SC-Henry M says the lows have to exit at the same US latitude as they come in, so I guess we're screwed. :(

One thing's for sure, this is going to be one hugely wet storm for California, this is really a Nino like storm and pattern in general. Good for them, they need the rain. Makes me think there will be tons of liquid equivalent this way as well once the Gulf also gets tapped. The QPFs on models may go up as time goes on.

One thing I noticed-the low is expected to enter CA down by maybe Santa Maria. That means the storm will exit the East around Charleston, SC-Henry M says the lows have to exit at the same US latitude as they come in, so I guess we're screwed. :(

Ha I thought of that myself. And I agree with the models trending wetter as we get closer

HA, the 15z SREF's trended warmer and less suppressed again, even flips Boston to rain.

Pretty far out for them right?  Interesting that the NAM and SREF are warmer at the very far end of their range.

I tell you, it sounds corny and it's not science, but this winter I've tried (at this range) to take the ((GFS + Euro) / 2) and it's worked pretty darn well... (except maybe for the Feb 13th Miller A that the Euro dominated)...

That even worked for yesterday's light snow, where the Euro had 3-6" at one point and the GFS had nothing around this range.  C-2" for most of NJ...

Once you get to tomorrow's 0z suite, I abandon...

I'm just reporting what the SREF's are showing, yes they are at the far end of their range. Just pointing out that a suppressed solution isn't locked in yet. The Euro ensembles are coming out now.

The Euro ensemble mean hasn't really disagreed with the OP in a while so I expect a similar outcome...maybe a shade south. We'll see

It's pretty amazing when you consider how this threat has evolved over the past 7-10 days. It's gone from a bowling ball type low, to a miller A, to a miller A hybrid, to a cutter that redevelops into a miller B with good over running, to good over running with a strong back end wave, to good over running and now to great over running.

The 00z ensembles were generally drier than the 00z ECWMF by quite a large margin, you could have cut QPF totals in half. Hopefully that's not the case now.

I was speaking strictly track-wise. Less qpf on an ensemble mean is pretty much a given at this range but it was disconcerning to see them that much drier than the OP.

I'm just reporting what the SREF's are showing, yes they are at the far end of their range. Just pointing out that a suppressed solution isn't locked in yet. The Euro ensembles are coming out now.

They are out to lunch thermally for sure because the precip axis looks very similar to the other models, they seem to be placing features right but are too warm.

Archived