joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We kinda need the shortwave a little amplified, so we can see stronger thermal gradient, enhance snowfall rates during the day. As long the PV is strong over SE Canada and isn't too far too far north, most of us here will be probably be fine.

Agreed, too flat and it will get more easily sheared out on the backend. That PV is a double edged sword for us.

We kinda need the shortwave a little amplified, so we can see stronger thermal gradient, enhance snowfall rates during the day. As long the PV is strong over SE Canada and isn't too far too far north, most of us here will be probably be fine.

Agree! I know everyone north of NYC thinks it will trend north as been the case in the pass with swfe. The pv is going to tell the tale and only allow it to come so far north.

I keep seeing 6-10" and that run looked like more than that to me...

If the GFS verifies most areas should have no problem seeing 10"+. Thinking 12"+ will be common rather than the exception. As usual the higher elevations of NW NJ and the LHV should get in on some up sloping. Most of the high res modeling shows JP's for that region despite slightly less QPF. 

Not an encouraging run for those of us in the no-man's land of the mid-HV. 6-8" deal at best with that QPF, assuming decent ratios.

I think you need to be almost into the Albany CWA before you have to worry about major issues. Sunday night might be a bit dry north of NYC but those areas do just fine on Monday and especially Monday afternoon.

I like how the models have been showing a more consistent long duration moderate rate throughout the storm. Definitely a better outcome when compared to yesterday's 12Z GFS

Part of the reason for the shorter duration is that earlier the models were painting a snowier picture for Sunday morning. All I will say is that typically with SWFE events the moisture arrives sooner than modeled, so hopefully that happens here. Really think the NAM will have the best handle on timing once it gets into range due to its higher resolution. The smoothed out QPF fields on the globals can be deceiving.

Archived