• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

It's obviously still a warning criteria snowfall for the southern half of the forum, I just don't like 1) Being on the northern edge of a storm like this and 2) Seeing a normally over amped model showing a more suppressed solution.

I wasn't really concerned until I looked at the 00z ECMWF ensemble mean and saw not how suppressed they were, not how warm they were, but how dry the were. 0.5"+ on a 24 hour plus event is not exactly encouraging for big snow.

I dont have access to ensembles but being that the EURO hasnt been the best lately im not going to put much stock into its QPF output.... Yet

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for those worried about suppression ---

...ANOMALOUS CLOSED LOW APPROACHING CALIFORNIA BY EARLY FRIDAY...
...WELL-DEVELOPED SURFACE CYCLONE WEAKENING IN TIME...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z GEFS MEAN/12Z ECENS MEAN AND 00Z ECMWF
CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE NEXT IN THE SERIES OF DEEP LAYER LOW CENTERS OFF CA WILL
ARRIVE BY LATE FRIDAY AND MOVE INLAND SATURDAY ACROSS THE FOUR
CORNERS REGION. MUCH LIKE ITS PREDECESSOR...THE ENERGY WILL GET
CAUGHT UP IN MORE PROGRESSIVE AND RELATIVELY CONFLUENT SRN STREAM
FLOW ACROSS THE SRN TIER OF THE NATION AND BEGIN TO SHEAR OUT. THE
00Z NAM IS A SLOWER/DEEPER OUTLIER SFC AND ALOFT. THE 00Z GFS IS
THE MOST PROGRESSIVE AND MORE SHEARED BY SUNDAY AS IT MOVES ENERGY
OUT INTO THE SRN PLAINS. THE 00Z GEM GLOBAL/00Z UKMET AND 00Z
ECMWF SPLIT THE DIFF. THE 00Z GEFS MEAN AND 12Z ECENS MEAN BOTH
SUGGEST THE 00Z GFS IS TOO PROGRESSIVE...AND BOTH FAVOR THE 00Z
ECMWF MUCH MORE STRONGLY. WILL THEREFORE FAVOR THE ECMWF LED
CLUSTER WITH THE ENSEMBLE SUPPORT.

for those worried about suppression ---

...ANOMALOUS CLOSED LOW APPROACHING CALIFORNIA BY EARLY FRIDAY...

...WELL-DEVELOPED SURFACE CYCLONE WEAKENING IN TIME...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z GEFS MEAN/12Z ECENS MEAN AND 00Z ECMWF

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE NEXT IN THE SERIES OF DEEP LAYER LOW CENTERS OFF CA WILL

ARRIVE BY LATE FRIDAY AND MOVE INLAND SATURDAY ACROSS THE FOUR

CORNERS REGION. MUCH LIKE ITS PREDECESSOR...THE ENERGY WILL GET

CAUGHT UP IN MORE PROGRESSIVE AND RELATIVELY CONFLUENT SRN STREAM

FLOW ACROSS THE SRN TIER OF THE NATION AND BEGIN TO SHEAR OUT. THE

00Z NAM IS A SLOWER/DEEPER OUTLIER SFC AND ALOFT. THE 00Z GFS IS

THE MOST PROGRESSIVE AND MORE SHEARED BY SUNDAY AS IT MOVES ENERGY

OUT INTO THE SRN PLAINS. THE 00Z GEM GLOBAL/00Z UKMET AND 00Z

ECMWF SPLIT THE DIFF. THE 00Z GEFS MEAN AND 12Z ECENS MEAN BOTH

SUGGEST THE 00Z GFS IS TOO PROGRESSIVE...AND BOTH FAVOR THE 00Z

ECMWF MUCH MORE STRONGLY. WILL THEREFORE FAVOR THE ECMWF LED

CLUSTER WITH THE ENSEMBLE SUPPORT.

We're probably going to do fine here, even if the JP is over Central NJ. New England, that might be a different story. I think especially NNE is mostly out of the game. The GEFS and ECMWF ensembles were really dry up that way.

It's obviously still a warning criteria snowfall for the southern half of the forum, I just don't like 1) Being on the northern edge of a storm like this and 2) Seeing a normally over amped model showing a more suppressed solution.

I wasn't really concerned until I looked at the 00z ECMWF ensemble mean and saw not how suppressed they were, not how warm they were, but how dry the were. 0.5"+ on a 24 hour plus event is not exactly encouraging for big snow.

The DGEX means nothing. Next run it could show a low over NYC. Big deal.

I kind of like how the Euro came south a little and got colder, but the Euro being the warmest bit of guidance and furthest north is a concern in my eyes. I don't think this is a storm where the whole Northeast will be digging out-it will likely be the standard SWFE/warm advection snow/ice/rain gradient from north to south. If the Boston/I-90 crowd gets excited, it likely means a bad outcome for us. I still think suppression is very unlikely as far south as we are with the storm type.

1/22/12 now the #1 analog at 120 hours over the east. 3/24/90 is the #1 analog over the east at 96 hours.

when looking at the CIPS analogs the Enso Phase for that year is located on the left - the 3/24/90 was during a cold ENSO - the number 1 analog for the Neutral Enso is 2/9/1994

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/stats.php?reg=EC&model=GFS212&fhr=F120&flg=

I know, I know it's the long range NAM but I can't help but notice how relatively dry the entire evolution of the system is up through Sunday night for parts of the mid-west as compared to the major globals.

Yeah its basically a hot mess....it is good to see it overall be still barely cold enough at 84 hours at 850 at NYC, that would fit well with the Euro/GFS profiles thermally.

I think in the end we're looking at another 12-18 hour event with 6-10" for most

If i were a betting man i think that would be a pretty close outcome for everyone currently. Was really hoping for that caboose to give a really nice second part/ encore of the storm but this currently looks like a modest SWFE that really isnt going to be major in by any means in my eyes

If i were a betting man i think that would be a pretty close outcome for everyone currently. Was really hoping for that caboose to give a really nice second part/ encore of the storm but this currently looks like a modest SWFE that really isnt going to be major in by any means in my eyes

We're still far enough out that it could trend wetter and a longer duration event. But its looking like it is out of here by Monday evening and what falls Sunday is light

6-12 is a good call right now but the models could possibly be underdoing the QPF.

I think a 12-18 hour event is a really conservative call right now. I would favor 24-36, that's what the majority of the guidance shows. The height of the storm should be from the early morning hours on Monday through Monday night.

I would also not be totally shocked to see snow persist into Tuesday, a lot of the GEFS ensembles have activity at the back end holding on.

Hopefully there's another storm later in the week like some modeling shows and we can cash in with that. 

Hopefully there's another storm later in the week like some modeling shows and we can cash in with that.

Dont want to get flamed here but if that 0z ECMWF last night verified and it also went negative tilt in time to come up the coast it would quite literally shatter 95-96' snowfall records in almost the entire tri state area. **THIS IS A WISHCAST OF WHAT COULD HAPPEN IF IT WORKED OUT NOT LITERAL FORECAST**

Dont want to get flamed here but if that 0z ECMWF last night verified and it also went negative tilt in time to come up the coast it would quite literally shatter 95-96' snowfall records in almost the entire tri state area. **THIS IS A WISHCAST OF WHAT COULD HAPPEN IF IT WORKED OUT NOT LITERAL FORECAST**

The Euro has actually been consistent on a storm that time frame getting captured and stalling out. I think a couple runs of the GFS have shown that as well. They've just depicted an offshore solution for the most part.

The Euro has actually been consistent on a storm that time frame getting captured and stalling out. I think a couple runs of the GFS have shown that as well. They've just depicted an offshore solution for the most part.

Yea its interesting time frame that COULD yield the biggest storm of the season. THANK YOU for not taking my extrapolated forecast seriously btw, just mentioned the potential is there for something truly amazing currently

Yea its interesting time frame that COULD yield the biggest storm of the season. THANK YOU for not taking my extrapolated forecast seriously btw, just mentioned the potential is there for something truly amazing currently

It has  been in back of mind, for many I suspect, but using the logic of 'lets get through this 1 first' I have been silent about it.  One heck of a winter to say the least!

Archived