joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the PV that helps to make this possible and what eventually punts it east at the end. The 12z GFS dug that PV energy much further south and allowed for a less progressive flow, still hoping that scenario somehow comes back, though the more progressive nature makes perfect sense this season. Still we're talking Sunday afternoon until really late Monday night, that's nothing to sneeze at.

But the earlier run with the 72 hr storm was more drawn out and light. Yes it accumulates, but I'll take a thump of heavy pasting snow in a minute over the lighter variety but that's just me. 

That's where we differ, I would love to experience a really long duration snow event, regardless of duration.

And who could possibly complain about a 24 to 30 hour storm??

I don't think anyone is complaining at all, but the 12z GFS was just epic, like as if Snow88 had run it directly from his smart phone. Plus it would be a nightmare for the general non weather weenie public, and I would enjoy that immensely.

it went toward the euro with a less sheared southern vort

One thing is for sure I think at this point and thats that the Euro's idea of this being entirely a rain event for the coast won't be correct, the positioning of the high is too good before the event starts for this to at least not be a decent front end deal for most people.

One thing is for sure I think at this point and thats that the Euro's idea of this being entirely a rain event for the coast won't be correct, the positioning of the high is too good before the event starts for this to at least not be a decent front end deal for most people.

It can also be a setup for an ice storm. The WAA is modeled too weak on the GFS to really warm the upper and mid levels.

gfs_namer_096_500_vort_ht.gif

The key will be that piece of energy swinging around the PV north of Minnesota, we do not want to see that attempt to phase in with the southern vort over the U.S....at this point it looks too weak to me and too separated to do so, but that could be what turns this storm into a disaster for alot of people if it did happen.

The key will be that piece of energy swinging around the PV north of Minnesota, we do not want to see that attempt to phase in with the southern vort over the U.S....at this point it looks too weak to me and too separated to do so, but that could be what turns this storm into a disaster for alot of people if it did happen.

Yes agreed, if it phases = bad, but it also could help to kind of squash the low a bit farther S if is aligned right

Ageed as long as is stays POS tilted it will work its way under the confluence .  VG run for KNYC  .

The danger with the one bigger storm vs smaller waves scenario is that a stronger storm will try to come north unless the PV really pushes down on it. I would much rather have a weaker rather than a stronger and consolidated shortwave. There is also the primary low and warm air aloft to worry about with these kind of overrunning events. This system overall is still not sitting that well for me for the city and near the coast. If I had to wager right now I would say this is a similar outcome to Feb 4th with slop to rain for the coast and snow to ice inland and congrats Boston. Maybe the next few days can prove this wrong but I'm not usually a fan of these kind of systems.

The danger with the one bigger storm vs smaller waves scenario is that a stronger storm will try to come north unless the PV really pushes down on it. I would much rather have a weaker rather than a stronger and consolidated shortwave. There is also the primary low and warm air aloft to worry about with these kind of overrunning events. This system overall is still not sitting that well for me for the city and near the coast. If I had to wager right now I would say this is a similar outcome to Feb 4th with slop to rain for the coast and snow to ice inland and congrats Boston. Maybe the next few days can prove this wrong but I'm not usually a fan of these kind of systems.

You've made many good points regarding this with previous storms, and have been correct. This is why I am not too excited about this storm at this point. It makes me especially uncomfortable being the jackpot area 120 hours out. There is nearly a 100% chance that the jackpot area will change and a very good chance that the entire area of snow and rain will make a pretty drastic shift as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived