joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't look at the previous run for comparison, I just know that at hour 87 the surface and 850mb freezing lines are still northwest of the area.

Yeah they are horrific with surface and mid level temps at the long range with the storm that hit the southeast us 2 weeks ago they were off 5-10c beyond 60 hours...the funny thing about the SREFs right now though is their precip axis matches up well at 87 hours with most other models but temps aren't even close

I know lol. The NE subforum is amazingly quiet for a threat of a foot crossing the 100 hr mark.

You'd think they've had enough of winter!

To be honest, in this setup it's probably bad for us if they start going crazy in the NE forum. There's likely going to be a fairly sharp gradient between where there's a large accumulation and just sleet/slop/rain. These WAA type storms are often like that. And it's always especially a nailbiter when you have to wait for cold air to come in as the storm starts.

Becoming a little clearer that supression is much more of a concern than rain/warm. 

I have to disagree. I don't think suppression would be a worry here. Maybe north of I-90. These very often trend north at the end, so we would want some wiggle room between the rain/mix/snow line. The Feb 4th event was expected to be cold enough for almost all snow at one point, even up to 48 hours out, but then trended markedly warmer/north.

Its not really about trending...Its about what happens in SE Canada with the ULL, if it doesnt push SE enough it will be warm, if it does, cold...

The trends on the overnight models and 6Z was a better PV positioning in SE canada leading to better confluence and correlating to colder temps.

We'll what the 12z suite brings today starting with the GFS which seems to be the most consistent with the track and temps combine

That looks pretty good for most in this sub forum. Do you not like how it's further south then most?

It's obviously still a warning criteria snowfall for the southern half of the forum, I just don't like 1) Being on the northern edge of a storm like this and 2) Seeing a normally over amped model showing a more suppressed solution.

I wasn't really concerned until I looked at the 00z ECMWF ensemble mean and saw not how suppressed they were, not how warm they were, but how dry the were. 0.5"+ on a 24 hour plus event is not exactly encouraging for big snow.

Archived