joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a misconception, it's happened this year and in years past numerous times. If the shortwave trend more amplified or stronger then you can bet things can adjust north somewhat, but I doubt it'll be dramatic the way the pattern is forecast to evolve.

It still doesn't mean it's gonna happen with every single storm.

It's probably past the point where the Euro makes huge shifts. I could see a tick colder/south though, it did the same at 0z.

I'm liking the trend with the PV, hope that keeps up.

3-4 days out is past the point for major shifts for the Euro? I'd agree if this was tomorrow night's 0z run or Saturday's 12z run but I think the Euro can still shift plenty at this stage of the game. It has plenty of times at this range just this winter alone.

The recent runs of the European definitely have trended away from the amplified, "phased" solution. The key is for the PV to remain in a good position and to see the two shortwaves staying seperate. The trends for the southern vort being more consolidated on the GFS is very encouraging.

Frontogenesis will be pretty strong with this event, and we have a beautiful 150+ knot jet streak just north of Maine, which places us in the right-entrance region. The jet streak is uniform and not too narrow, so lift will be enhanced in a wide area, as opposed to a supreme amount of lift being concentrated in a small area, thus the more uniform snowfall amounts. That being said, with enhanced frontogenesis, precipitation amounts could still go up. 

Archived