joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18Z GFS has a twelve hour period of moderate snow on Monday 03/03/14.  I'll take it as we move towards the all time NYC sesonal snowfall record.  Anyway, for fair disclosure: its the 18Z model,  just one model, and the storm to be sampled is still off the pacific coast of California.  Need to wait and monitor upcoming modeling over the next two days before this system is a lock.

Yeah but the nam and dgex are notoriously amped at this range most of the time that definitely adds weight to this possibly being more along the lines of a GEM or Euro track

The NAM at 84 hours looked really good, cold was beginning to anchor in and VVs over the midwest were lighting up...The shortwave looked really good at 84 hours, I think the DGEX uses GFS physics though  Iam not sure.....

I promise you guys once we get closer the NAM will show some crazy QPF amounts with the tight gradient. I will almost bet a 15 day ban that there will be a run or 2 that show 1.5+ for Philly/NYC lol. 

The NAM at 84 hours looked really good, cold was beginning to anchor in and VVs over the midwest were lighting up...The shortwave looked really good at 84 hours, I think the DGEX uses GFS physics though Iam not sure.....

I promise you guys once we get closer the NAM will show some crazy QPF amounts with the tight gradient. I will almost bet a 15 day ban that there will be a run or 2 that show 1.5+ for Philly/NYC lol.

Models are already showing 1.25" so 1.5" isn't too crazy. And this isn't the type of system to yield 2" plus runs.

12 to 1, there is an "inversion" and mid level warming in the 800-870 layer where temps are as warm as -3 to -5c so the optimal temps at 700mb may be negated a bit

What happens when well-formed dendrites from the DGZ fall through a warmer layer that is still below 0C? Is the crystal structure compromised? I can't imagine any melting takes place.

Last OT question related to this: was the brick wall modeled correctly?

The nam nailed it the GFS with it's lower resolution was much further north, nobody ever bought the nam would be correct as a matter of fact most thought the GFS would verify too far south hence upton going 3-5 for NYC but being unsure since it could be nothing or double that

The nam nailed it the GFS with it's lower resolution was much further north, nobody ever bought the nam would be correct as a matter of fact most thought the GFS would verify too far south hence upton going 3-5 for NYC but being unsure since it could be nothing or double that

Thanks, who knows we could have a similar scenario this time tho in a diff spot.

The 18Z GFS has a twelve hour period of moderate snow on Monday 03/03/14.  I'll take it as we move towards the all time NYC sesonal snowfall record.  Anyway, for fair disclosure: its the 18Z model,  just one model, and the storm to be sampled is still off the pacific coast of California.  Need to wait and monitor upcoming modeling over the next two days before this system is a lock.

I find it troubled to see TV mets jumped on the 18z so fast?!?!

I find it troubled to see TV mets jumped on the 18z so fast?!?!

True, when torn between ratings, director pressure and the responsibility to inform the public of a potential winter storm 3 days away the TV mets walk a fine line.  At this time frame it is best to frame the potential winter storm in probabilities and wait on any talk of accumulations.  Weather forecasting is very challenging and nothing should be considered absolute.

I was working at OKX that day and also remember looking at the NAM with forecasters leading up to the event and wondering if it could be right with that insane cutoff. As a snow lover, it was pretty painful to experience with good bands up to the immediate south shore of LI, southern BK, SI and Union County NJ and heavy snow in Monmouth County. The vertically pointing radar at Stony Brook University had at least a 9hr long virga storm, with only a few periods where the snow survived through the dry layer. NYC conceivably could have ended up over 50" that February if not for the near miss on 2/6/10.

I was working at OKX that day and also remember looking at the NAM with forecasters leading up to the event and wondering if it could be right with that insane cutoff. As a snow lover, it was pretty painful to experience with good bands up to the immediate south shore of LI, southern BK, SI and Union County NJ and heavy snow in Monmouth County. The vertically pointing radar at Stony Brook University had at least a 9hr long virga storm, with only a few periods where the snow survived through the dry layer. NYC conceivably could have ended up over 50" that February if not for the near miss on 2/6/10.

Is this that infamous storm where ACY wound up with a major blizzard at 20 inches and KNYC wound up  with 20 flurries and areas as near as S.I had 3-6?

Archived