Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously someone just trying to get a rise out of poople...err people here

Anyway, here are some of my  thoughts on this system.

1.There is no room IMO for the amplification that the Euro was showing yesterday, my main concern is and will be suppression/and dry air eating on the northern side of the precip shield.

2. Be careful assuming that Hp to the north means higher ratios, that is a SFC high and will only aide in keeping the surface colder

3. That PV means business and that confluence to the north is nothing to laugh at, this is also why I expect a solution most consistent with where the models seem to be today. Also, i'd be very cautious accepting such long durations/and waves towards the end, the PV will likely shear this out pretty quickly and I think we are left with an 18-24 hour event and even that may be pushing it in the end.

4. I can't say i'm entirely thrilled at the setup, yes there is a massive storm crashing into the west coast but what I think we are left with by the time it gets here is a shearing out system that will provide us with a significant overrunning event and probably not too much more than that.

5. Im reluctant(very much so) to start throwing numbers around but if I were to guess on where we were with this system id place the heaviest (6-12) running from WMd thru SEPA thru the tri state with a significant cutoff north of NYC and south of PHL.

I agree with what you're saying, good analysis as always. I think though that given the origins of this storm that it should have a good amount of juice. There looks to be a great overrunning zone as well, into a strong high. I definitely don't expect a PDII or anything like that, but there could be a zone that has 12"+.

This will extend well into Tuesday morning, what a run, all courtesy of the much improved H5. The PV attempts to phase in with the southern vort at exactly the right time and instead of shearing it out, boom.

Wow, this was not expected from me. I don't know if I buy this but this is a development that will certainly HAVE to be monitored in future runs and will be the difference between 18-24 hours and 24 plus hours. If the overrunning hits us and THEN the vort attempts a phase in afterwards like the GFS is showing than we could see some LP enhanced bands and coastal like features.

Well Im right in between the Phil-NYC corridor so not complaining but hopefully this works out so everyone in the viewing area can get in on the good stuff. there are plenty of storms I'm on the either on the Southern or northern fringe and miss the real good  stuff.

I'm not going to dive full-on into this until tomorrow at the earliest. The PV can still relax some in future runs and allow a shift north. That's what the NE forum is banking on, anyway. I think still that mixing is a much bigger concern than suppression, unless you're way north of the city, like I-84 north.

Not quite, but close. A powerful vort swings south from MN and tries to interact with the southern vort as it hits the area.

Hmmm… I wonder with the system nearing the sample grid, its picking up onto something. At the very least, that scenario the 18z just depicted needs to be watched for in future runs. Interesting.

Archived