• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-13 Winter storm totals!

strongwxnc

Well, what a crazy system. Lets use this thread to post totals after the system has passed you by.

Rutherford County (NC)  Bostic

3.0" total

2.0" snow

1.0" sleet

.75" in the bucket. .70" from the start of the storm (10am on 2/12 to 11 pm 2/12)

.05 from 5am on 2/13 - 11am 2/13)

I will leave the "what happen to my 16" to others!

Hope everyone enjoyed the system...

snow_currentaccum.png

Tuesday~1.5" snow

Wednesday~5"snow,1.5"sleet(estimation since I checked when the freezing rain was coming down) .10"ice

Thursday~2" snow

Not too shabby for Indian Trail,NC. I thought this was a wonderful storm and probably one I will talk about in the future. I'm 36 and can't remember ever having 3 days of snow falling. Yeah,it wasn't snowing the whole time, but still pretty awesome!!

My best estimation for Matthews / Mint Hill area ESE of Uptown Charlotte.

Tuesday (2/11): 2.5" snow (roads only wet)

Wednesday (2/12): 5" snow; 2" sleet, .10" frz rain

Thursday (2/13):  .5" sleet; 3" snow

After melting / compaction total on the ground right at 9.5". Pretty awesome considering how many hours were lost to the pingers and freezing drizzle!! Best storm for my area since 2004 for sure.

I'm going to estimate for marietta.

2" sleet

2" snow

.20" ice

.20" rain

Here in Dunwoody, it was similar to Marietta. Here are my estimates based on a total liquid equivalent of ~1":

2.5" sleet

1.5" snow

0.10" ice

0.15" rain

I'm going to consider this a major sleet/snow combination producer for north metro Atlanta (though not for KATL, where they apparently got a good bit less IP and more ZR), but also a major icestorm in my records for KATL and the first major ATL icestorm since 12/05 based mainly on the ZR the south metro got. Fwiw, note that this major icestorm occurred during the most favored ENSO phase for them by far per history, neutral negative. For my ZR storm records, I'm going with the wedging high being 1036 mb in the NE US and calling the associated low a Miller A.

Well, I had 6-7" last night and another couple inches from this afternoon's events.  I'd guess around 8.5-9", but I'll probably just go with the airport's total (which I have not seen yet) since it was hard to measure with the compaction and the wind last night.

It's the biggest winter storm accumulation-wise since January 2002 at KGSO.  I was hoping we could hold the sleet at bay and make 12", but that didn't happen.  We still easily verified the Winter Storm Warning for 6-10", so I can't really complain.  Even the higher 8-12" predictions from some local mets verified.  DT's 12" didn't verify, of course, but DT's snowfall maps usually need to be sliced in half to get the reality (at least IMBY).

I only measured yesterday during the snow. At that time, the max I measured was around 6", but I'd go with 5.5" to mitigate any potential drift or grass issues.

Based on the layer of sleet that I poked my fingers though, I'd estimate no more than 1" of sleet, but no less than 3/4". Glaze was between 0.1" and 0.2", but not measured directly either.

Any additional accumulation of snow this afternoon was less than a half an inch, though it would have been hard to tell with the existing snowpack and the melting.

I'm going to consider this a major sleet/snow combination producer for north metro Atlanta (though not for KATL, where they apparently got a good bit less IP and more ZR), but also a major icestorm in my records for KATL and the first major ATL icestorm since 12/05 based mainly on the ZR the south metro got. Fwiw, note that this major icestorm occurred during the most favored ENSO phase for them by far per history, neutral negative. For my ZR storm records, I'm going with the wedging high being 1036 mb in the NE US and calling the associated low a Miller A.

Where/how do you think it stacks up from an historical perspective? Top 5, 10, 20? Thanks.

Archived