Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 20z HRRR has more snow once again throughout Northern NJ .. now showing total snow amounts of around 1 foot from Central NJ through Newark and northward. 

I love the HRRR and as a short term model it has become extremely impressive...but I just have a really hard time believing this is possible. Not only does it seem too far east with the heaviest banding, but I simply think it will be hard to achieve those totals despite the convective nature of the precipitation. 

True, it may be overdoing it but probably means there is gonna be a good show tonight in some areas at the very least. 

The 20z HRRR has more snow once again throughout Northern NJ .. now showing total snow amounts of around 1 foot from Central NJ through Newark and northward. 

I love the HRRR and as a short term model it has become extremely impressive...but I just have a really hard time believing this is possible. Not only does it seem too far east with the heaviest banding, but I simply think it will be hard to achieve those totals despite the convective nature of the precipitation. 

I think it's a tad overdone, but I don't buy the RAP's presentation either based on current obs.  I think if you cut the HRRR down to size a bit you get a realistic accumulation.  I like a 4-6 general area with possible areas of around 8 inches.

That said, I've doubted the HRRR three times with storms this year.  It's proven me wrong to a relative degree, all three times.

But why though? It happened earlier... Why not now with even more dynamics involved?

Down here it did, all you have to do is look at the radar/upper levels to know things are setting up farther NW than HRRR is showing IMO

The HRRR resets every hour based on what's actually happening, though.

So I have trouble believing it would still be terribly off. It must be focusing on new development.

The new HRRR has 1.3" of new liquid accumulation at EWR.

Either something is really off, or we're gonna see something special tonight.

I've been wanting an answer on this....the RAP is way different and much further NW consistently...doesn't the HRRR run off of the RAP? If so, why would they be so different ?

Gotta be quick with the flight changes!!

From what I can tell delta seems to have done a better job of managing this. They seem to be getting more flights in and out. I am flying home on a red eye from lax that leaves at 12:30 ET. Our plane was supposed to come from JFK. That flight is delayed but not canceled , but delta has already swapped ours out for another aircraft.

But how will conditions look at 5:30 when we are aupposed to land?

I've been wanting an answer on this....the RAP is way different and much further NW consistently...doesn't the HRRR run off of the RAP? If so, why would they be so different ?

Because I don't believe that's the case actually, but someone more sure can chime in.  Again, I don't buy the HRRR totals, but it's presentation looks much more believable to me based on the obs/setup than the RAP.  That thing has bounced around in the short range kind of like the RGEM did for several runs for the first leg of the storm.  I get gunshy myself on buying a model that does that.

The HRRR resets every hour based on what's actually happening, though.

So I have trouble believing it would still be terribly off. It must be focusing on new development.

But what could trigger a forcast for 15 inches of snow in EWR ? Thats beyond surreal ( and by extrapolation some of this will spread east from there). Im not as interested in it happening in as I am as to why that could happen

I've been wanting an answer on this....the RAP is way different and much further NW...doesn't the HRRR run off of the RAP? If so, why would they be so different ?

The RAP 850`s are too warm  . 850`s at KNYC are plus 1.5 now ,, Where does the RAP  think they are now

This.

Honestly...the RAP has been GREAT. I have been able to time out the snow, snow rates, precip type, and banding with this model and I so far from anythjng close to a pro. Just because the RAP doesn't show the best snows over this area does not mean that it is not correct. As I said, it has been great and is supported by several other models

Archived