• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

You just might but this is not a localized event . A lot of the area sees 4 to 8  if you get 10  its not impossible .

But I wouldn`t worry about a 50 mile shift west to get you there .The HRRR matches up very well with the radar . This is not a snow squall .

The HRRR has Monmouth County in the 6 to 8 .

its looks like this will hammer LI too according to the HRRR and its matching up nice currently with the radar

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I alluded to earlier.

You just might but this is not a localized event . A lot of the area sees 4 to 8  if you get 10  its not impossible .

But I wouldn`t worry about a 50 mile shift west to get you there .The HRRR matches up very well with the radar . This is not a snow squall .

The HRRR has Monmouth County in the 6 to 8 .

from what im looking at it looks like a pretty big gradient between western and eastern monmouth. id say maybe as little as 1-3" for extreme eastern areas to as much as 4-8" extreme western sections. looks like nw nj may get the brunt according to radar trends and most modeling

Well according to the RAP and other models, a lot (0.25+) of the precip will fall as rain or sleet and not accumulate

Some of the precip will be sleet(sleet does accumulate). 925 temps and surface are below freezing. Currently I'm at 31.

This isn't South Carolina...

You're right. .. But it's interesting that the deform band had wound up further west then all guidance was showing there. Could it be the same here? Perhaps. .. But ccb events are always tricky and are always nowcasting requirements. Id say a general 3 to 6 from West of the de River and n of ttn out onto the west end of LI and them more North into the Hudson River Valley. However there can and certainly will be more in certain bands over the area and guarantee someone in the i287 corridor reaches the double digits additional.

but it will cool and the rates will be insane yet again. the HRRR also shows a good bit of lightning as well

Look down in southeastern VA and the precip pivoting around there-that's what we have to hope hits us later as the initial band might be too warm for snow. Right now it appears to be headed more NNE than easterly, so it's quite possible it only swipes western Long Island and really nails NJ more. I'd watch for radar trends now more than models. I'm not surprised they are shifting west a little-like I said I wasn't getting burned by this storm again. The low may also open up again, making for not as impressive snow banding.

The 20z HRRR has more snow once again throughout Northern NJ .. now showing total snow amounts of around 1 foot from Central NJ through Newark and northward. 

I love the HRRR and as a short term model it has become extremely impressive...but I just have a really hard time believing this is possible. Not only does it seem too far east with the heaviest banding, but I simply think it will be hard to achieve those totals despite the convective nature of the precipitation. 

You're right. .. But it's interesting that the deform band had wound up further west then all guidance was showing there. Could it be the same here? Perhaps. .. But ccb events are always tricky and are always nowcasting requirements. Id say a general 3 to 6 from West of the de River and n of ttn out onto the west end of LI and them more North into the Hudson River Valley. However there can and certainly will be more in certain bands over the area and guarantee someone in the i287 corridor reaches the double digits additional.

I agree..just wishful thinking as I'm in Suffolk county and feel good currently looking at the radar.

The 20z HRRR has more snow once again throughout Northern NJ .. now showing total snow amounts of around 1 foot from Central NJ through Newark and northward. 

I love the HRRR and as a short term model it has become extremely impressive...but I just have a really hard time believing this is possible. Not only does it seem too far east with the heaviest banding, but I simply think it will be hard to achieve those totals despite the convective nature of the precipitation. 

so from what you see is that LI will probably miss the heaviest action and maybe a few inches correct john?

I like the 18-24" SW of Toms River.  LOL.  It is typically overdone precip total wise I feel.

100% agree. A lot of people are hugging the HRRR because it shows them getting the most snow. I don't buy it either. 

Archived