joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only midnight at hour 7. There is still plenty of time for areas further east. People need to realize this before posting that NYC gets shafted.

Sorry, didn't mean to infer that NYC gets shafted. And yes...it's out to 9 or so and did add an inch or two to EWR and NYC....but for the most part, unlike it's previous runs, the big stuff stays far NW

Yes, it's out, but quite honestly, although it brings the heavy snows way NW, it all appears very warm. The 32 line stays NW the entire duration it seems

Yeah, I think the concern for a lot of the region is that the heavy precipitation occurs before it flips to snow.  Regardless, looks like a crazy few hours of weather might be on the way later tonight.

With temperatures at 850 mb not progged to fall back to zero before 1 AM in my area (N. Shore central L.I.)...I wouldn't expect any snow here before then..though, some sleet certainly is possible.  By the time it cools aloft, much of the heaviest stuff will likely have moved away / or off to my north...still, can't complain after a foot of new snow during the morning hours. 

I always raise the possibility that we might get fortunate and get clipped by a several inches, (I definitely think there will be at least an inch or two overnight here)..but I'm not as optimistic as I was for the 1st half of the storm...which panned out rather nicely in these parts.

22 z HRRR are coming out on WB now  , Precip is way west , but its 850`s are plus 8 in CNJ  where its plus 4 now .

So its precip shield is west of where the current radar is now .

Its drier thru the Delmarva from what`s there now . So it works more dry air at the coast where there`s heavy precip breaking out now .

That's how I see it - and  the 850`s are noticeable

22 z HRRR are coming out on WB now  , Precip is way west , but its 850`s are plus 8 in CNJ  where its plus 4 now .

So its precip shield is west of where the current radar is now .

Its drier thru the Delmarva from what`s there now . So it works more dry air at the coast where there`s heavy precip breaking out now .

That's how I see it - and  the 850`s are noticeable

doesn't make sense according to current radar trends to be honest paul

I cannot stand the false observations and the constant flipping of the HRRR and RAP and the reactions when it shows less snow, PLEASE STOP and look at the radar and obs, mets please chime in more often 

33F

Thank you.  That bickering between the two models is giving me nausea and palpitations.  Why don't they just take a compromise and be done with it.

Yeah, I think the concern for a lot of the region is that the heavy precipitation occurs before it flips to snow. Regardless, looks like a crazy few hours of weather might be on the way later tonight.

You hit the nail on the head there....as the heaviest pushes through, per the HRRR, it is just too warm to be snow for much of NENJ/NYC, etc....NW NJ gets heavier banding as well as the advantage of cold

Based on current observations down in the DC area, or radar trends, seems pretty clear that the actual band that comes through overnight will be rather narrow and intense. It should move more south to north than east to west as the closed 500mb low slides SE of LI.

if it moves east how would the band move south to north instead of east to west? your telling me it would move further away from the low as the low would be moving the other way??? :popcorn:

to have the banding actually move across NYC-LI in its entirety it would take an east-west track as the 500mb low slides east under LI. that's what happened in 2002

Archived