Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly...the RAP has been GREAT. I have been able to time out the snow, snow rates, precip type, and banding with this model and I so far from anythjng close to a pro. Just because the RAP doesn't show the best snows over this area does not mean that it is not correct. As I said, it has been great and is supported by several other models

If you look closely at it's performance in placing banding it has been too NW all winter come show time. HRRR has performed better in banding setups this winter actually.

From what I can tell delta seems to have done a better job of managing this. They seem to be getting more flights in and out. I am flying home on a red eye from lax that leaves at 12:30 ET. Our plane was supposed to come from JFK. That flight is delayed but not canceled , but delta has already swapped ours out for another aircraft.

But how will conditions look at 5:30 when we are aupposed to land?

Well at least you'll be in the air and will get somewhere. My original flight was southwest and they are totally shut down from dc to NYC, no flights. Terrible.

Weather pruf what's your thoughts for tonight

Weather pruf what's your thoughts for tonight

Are you serious? I'm completely ignorant. Ya gotta be pulling my leg. I don't even know what half these dudes are talking about here. But IMO it kinda looks like the late Jan 2011 storm,with a little more rain. I had 19 inches in that one all total. Ask earthlight, PB or Yanksfan if he doesn't bite your head off.

I'm thinking (hoping more) for a couple of more inches later, maybe 3" where I am, maybe 4-6" further west over the city and less east. For the city and points east, I would pay close attention to the snow over SE VA currently and where that heads. It seems to be on a good enough trajectory to swipe the western half of Long Island and NYC at least for a while and pummel N NJ. Around I-287 looks good for another 6"+ maybe 8".

Yeah a little objectivity would be nice instead of pure weenie bias. 

Hope no one takes it that way from my end of things. I am thrilled with my foot giving me an 18-20 inch snow pack or so. I am just stating what I have observed with the RAP this winter and many mets here agree.

Actually I am south of NYC, and was just making a subjective observation. Very unprofessional for you guys to make passive-aggressive remarks like this. Anyway this will probably be deleted by Rob, so not sure why I'm even making this post...

Even if he wasn't right about you, his point was still valid. Relax.

Are you serious? I'm completely ignorant. Ya gotta be pulling my leg. I don't even know what half these dudes are talking about here. But IMO it kinda looks like the late Jan 2011 storm,with a little more rain. I had 19 inches in that one all total. Ask earthlight, PB or Yanksfan if he doesn't bite your head off.

every snowstorm there is a select few posters that are going to get there plums busted. congrats you've made the list here you go enjoy! :weenie:  Jm1220 that's where im focusing. that stuff looks highly convective when it gets up here and could produce some prolific rates again for several hours

every snowstorm there is a select few posters that are going to get there plums busted. congrats you've made the list here you go enjoy! :weenie:  Jm1220 that's where im focusing. that stuff looks highly convective when it gets up here and could produce some prolific rates again for several hours

Might be a sleet fest if those 850s don't cool down.

850mb.gif?1392333787794

looks promising paul for the entire area, not just the typical podium finishers in snowstorms ( NJ,NYC and HV )

The stuff off AC now is very likely going to fall here as sleet or rain. 850s are too warm. We need to pay attention to what's SW of there and where that tracks. The batch over SE VA looks like it's on a track to affect many of us for a while, but it could enhance/decline based on how the upper low performs. We want it to close off and be shunted east as much as possible.

Excuse me for using a weenie RADAR  , but I  just wanted show the extend of this out over the ocean

paul that looks spectacular. as was brought up previously I hope that warm punch erodes fast and also that 500mb Low will slide east of LI so we can get the best possible setup for maximum CCB effectiveness for the entire area

also the last frame of that weenie radar paul looks like it jogged east a smidge, could've been the radar playing tricks on me as well....

Archived