• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

With 9.5" snow so far, Central Park has now reached 50" snowfall for the winter. Winter 2013-14 is only the 17th winter on record with 50" or more snow in New York City. Records go back to 1869-70.

The prior winters with 50" or more snowfall were:

02132014_1.jpg

Separately, Islip has also surpassed 50" seasonal snowfall. Bridgeport and Islip have all recorded daily record snowfall amounts. Data for Newark, JFK, and LGA are not yet on the PNS, but all three sites also very likely broke their daily snowfall records, too. Central Park needs another 1.3" to break its daily record of 10.7", which was set in 1899.

Great info thanks Don

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow at 10-11pm the RAP is 3-4" per hour snow in NWNJ with nothing falling in NYC....I see earthlight's concern about it shifting west, which it is. It looks like 10"+ for them. They really get hammered again

I think the RAP's snowfall further east is mainly inhibited by temperatures, rather than a lack of precip. There is more precip further west, yes, but it's not like NYC is in a dry-slot. 

HRRR looks to be too wet and too far east. I like the RAP much better right now. There's no way atlantic county see's 20" of new snow as advertised by the HRRR. The RAP looks more reasonable and looks better aligned with the current radar and the EURO. 

The HRRR is matching up better with the current convection down in the Delmarva. Forky posted on this.

HRRR looks to be too wet and too far east. I like the RAP much better right now. There's no way atlantic county see's 20" of new snow as advertised by the HRRR. The RAP looks more reasonable and looks better aligned with the current radar and the EURO. 

No need for locations... it's so easy to deduce where people are from based on their posts... gonna guess you are in NWNJ?

The HRRR is matching up better with the current convection down in the Delmarva. Forky posted on this.

Agreed but it is coming in too warm and (maybe even overly wet as a result) when aligning it with current conditions. NWS says I will see 18-24 total for the storm. I guess I'll just ride them as I have this whole storm lol. I'd just need 5 inches to hit 18 anyway.

HRRR has sort of been dead on with this storm so far imo. I would like to see latest HRRR model runs and see if they shift towards the RAP. Right now the HRRR looks almost identical to the current radar(forky posted the comparison the previous page). It could very well be too wet, just like the RAP could very well be too dry. Maybe they'll compromise and blend out, which would still be a decent snowfall over the tri-state area.

Archived