Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need for locations... it's so easy to deduce where people are from based on their posts... gonna guess you are in NWNJ?

Lol. Nope, central Montgomery county. But if you think that widespread 1"-2" QPF amounts are going to verify in NJ, be my guest. There's no way. I can't see one town getting 20", and one town 20 miles west getting 5". I just think the HRRR is going nuts with QPF. And I do think the area of decent snows will be wider and a bit less localized. Hence my support for the RAP. However, I don't think either model has much of a clue of what's going to happen here. They are both shifting wildly from run to run. Gonna be a fun night....

its pretty clear looking at the radar the deform zone is going to set up west of NYC...maybe the metro region will get side swiped with 1-2"

Tremendous value here , keep up the good work . Why not take an approach and blend all the models and

see if you come up with a solution of NYC getting 1 to 2 . If you do please come back and share it with us .

Maybe Upton MT holly and the rest of us just aren`t as smart as you .

Honestly, the RAP's resolution isn't even as fine as the NAM's is (13KM to 12KM).

The HRRR has a 3KM resolution, which I think makes it better for mesoscale banding and such. I've had great success with the HRRR while storm chasing in the Plains, though of course this is a different beast. 

Second this. HRRR has been spot on today with all the banding. 

Just depends on what is snow and what is mix...if the rates are heavy it will probably be snow

Current SPC has 925 temps below zero, but 850s and 700s are warm. Might be a mix to start, but mostly snow as insane dynamics will be in play.

I am feeling like nowcasting will be the best solution... SR models are bouncing and the dynamic cooling may not be picked up on too

much. The entire area is looking like it will get a good amount of precip.  The convection in the delmarva is also good to see

What I hear:

"Blah blah blah ... I want more snow but some models show me getting fringed ... the term 'nowcasting' basically covers all bases and 'good amount of precip' allows me to not get disappointed with 1" or 6"..."

Sorry guys, been a long day at work and I've been up since 4 - that said, you can basically located precisely one's location prior to any snow event by their interpretation of the models...

Looking at the radar images makes it seem like it will take something along the lines of a euro track and RAP. NW NJ absolutely hammered with an additional 10-12" and a few inches for us here

You just might but this is not a localized event . A lot of the area sees 4 to 8  if you get 10  its not impossible .

But I wouldn`t worry about a 50 mile shift west to get you there .The HRRR matches up very well with the radar . This is not a snow squall .

The HRRR has Monmouth County in the 6 to 8 .

Archived