• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

The stuff off AC now is very likely going to fall here as sleet or rain. 850s are too warm. We need to pay attention to what's SW of there and where that tracks. The batch over SE VA looks like it's on a track to affect many of us for a while, but it could enhance/decline based on how the upper low performs. We want it to close off and be shunted east as much as possible.

But the NW  rotation 100 miles E of AC  s in response to where this is prob bellying under

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me for using a weenie RADAR  , but I  just wanted show the extend of this out over the ocean

The explosion of precip off the coast looks good. But we're going to need upper level temps to cool off ASAP or we're going to lose a bunch of QPF to liquid. Heavy rain right now in WIlmington, Delaware. 

every snowstorm there is a select few posters that are going to get there plums busted. congrats you've made the list here you go enjoy! :weenie:  Jm1220 that's where im focusing. that stuff looks highly convective when it gets up here and could produce some prolific rates again for several hours

Listen I taught middle school in the city for ten years you guys can't even begin to know the abuse I took, all in good fun. As Dirty Harry said, a man's gotta know his limitations.

The explosion of precip off the coast looks good. But we're going to need upper level temps to cool off ASAP or we're going to lose a bunch of QPF to liquid. Heavy rain right now in WIlmington, Delaware. 

Yeh , Think the 1st few hours on the coast is sleet and FRZ    - its 30 in Colts Neck and 32 in Brooklyn . So it maybe ugly for a bit here .

Wow shots of heavier rain here. My snowpack! My snowpack ! lol but yes I was just going to say that.....HRRR vs RAP! Fight takes place in a few hours. Who will win and who will cave first ? :P my vote is for the RAP, but I hope the HRRR beats it's butt

It could be worse. Honestly the snowpack doesn't appear all that much deeper where I am than before this morning given all the settling/compacting that has taken place, and the fact I got about half as much snow as 90% of the forum. I'll probably have 12-14" of cement by morning after the backlash is through and we cool down. The piles certainly are larger though.

The 21z HRRR is has good handle on this. 850mb temps don't crash until after 3z for Eastern NJ, NYC. That when those areas get most of the snowfall.

This could be why the 21z HRRR snowfall maps are a little overdone. It's probably counting the precip before 10:00pm as snow, when it's really going to be sleet. The HRRR might interpret sleet as snow. 

If you look at the 21z accumulated snowfall at 3 utc, you'll see there isn't much there http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/for_web/hrrr_jet/2014021321/t3/acsnw_t3sfc_f06.png Most of what it calls accumulated snow comes in later. Now whether it is right or not... Whole other question. 

This could be why the 21z HRRR snowfall maps are a little overdone. It's probably counting the precip before 10:00pm as snow, when it's really going to be sleet. The HRRR might interpret sleet as snow. 

Good point.

Sleet however would be terrible.  Ice up everything a bit underneath a few more inches of snow and make the roads a mess in the morning and make plowing quite the chore.

Archived