• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

I always averaged less than Central Park when I lived on 64ST and 12th Ave in Brooklyn...I had 72.3" in 1995-96...23.0" for the blizzard...one of the few times I measured more than KNYC...48.4" in 1993-94 with 9.5" biggest snowfall...I had 8" for Feb. 1995 while KNYC got 11"...

I am a little behind Central Park I think right now....I have 53" seasonal total. My house in Dobbs Ferry has 69". 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official storm total of 8.9" at Rutgers Gardens, though that seems a little low to me since I measured about 8" with the first round alone.  We mixed a lot more though than places just to the north which really cut down on our total accumulation.  Oh well, brings our seasonal total to 49.1". 

EDIT: Never mind, the site just updated.  10.6" total at the Gardens which sounds a lot more reasonable.  Brings our seasonal total to 50.8 inches.

Bay Ridge must average at least a couple inches more than Long Beach just by virtue of being farther west and staying snow a bit longer in these situations. I would guess you are around 23-24" whereas I am more like 25-26". If Central Park's average is in the 27-28" category, then we must be similar, as at least this winter we're finishing with very similar totals. Definitely think Manhattan averages a bit more than southern Brooklyn though. 

We are all at least 200% of average at this point, incredibly. We still have 5-6 more weeks of legitimate snowfall chances to tack onto the totals, and the pattern in late February/first week of March looks great. 

There's normally at least one "shaft storm" per year here where much of the rest of the area has very good snow amounts and we comparatively have much less. 2010-2011 didn't have one of those storms, but the marginal events would warm us up here much more than other areas and kill our snowpack repeatedly. Last year the early March storm was much better a few miles away from the shore than for me. Hopefully we got our shaft storm of 2013-14 out of the way, because otherwise we have been on a great roll. The colder waters have helped a lot as well, east winds really aren't as big a deal here as they have been in other years. Tomorrow hopefully we add a few more inches areawide and recover snow we lose today.

There's normally at least one "shaft storm" per year here where much of the rest of the area has very good snow amounts and we comparatively have much less. 2010-2011 didn't have one of those storms, but the marginal events would warm us up here much more than other areas and kill our snowpack repeatedly. Last year the early March storm was much better a few miles away from the shore than for me. Hopefully we got our shaft storm of 2013-14 out of the way, because otherwise we have been on a great roll. The colder waters have helped a lot as well, east winds really aren't as big a deal here as they have been in other years. Tomorrow hopefully we add a few more inches areawide and recover snow we lose today.

Finished with 10" 7 miles to you're ne. I drove up to oyster bay yesterday and they had a ton more snow well over a foot plus there was an Ice storm ongoing. Li really has 3 different climate zones. Beaches (lb). South shore and central. And the north shore hills

I always averaged less than Central Park when I lived on 64ST and 12th Ave in Brooklyn...I had 72.3" in 1995-96...23.0" for the blizzard...one of the few times I measured more than KNYC...48.4" in 1993-94 with 9.5" biggest snowfall...I had 8" for Feb. 1995 while KNYC got 11"...

I've lived in Brooklyn all my life and there is no question, in most situations Central Park is a degree or two colder on windy days and we get snow first but change over an hour or two before cp and switch back to snow a hour or two later.

Official storm total of 8.9" at Rutgers Gardens, though that seems a little low to me since I measured about 8" with the first round alone.  We mixed a lot more though than places just to the north which really cut down on our total accumulation.  Oh well, brings our seasonal total to 49.1". 

i live pretty close to rutgers gardens.  i measured 9" front end.  1.8" back end.   season 49.9"

Great pictures RW! Been a great winter! I bet you see a amazing gradient in storms from smq-new brunswick

Thanks!  And yes in storms like these where the rain/snow line sets up in between home and school I do...back home probably got 13-14" even though I live pretty close (one guy I know in Somerville measured 13.5").  Then of course there's the reverse like Boxing Day where Rutgers got slammed by the deformation band with 20" while I was caught in the subsidence just to the west and only got 9".

Finished with 10" 7 miles to you're ne. I drove up to oyster bay yesterday and they had a ton more snow well over a foot plus there was an Ice storm ongoing. Li really has 3 different climate zones. Beaches (lb). South shore and central. And the north shore hills

I could definitely tell there was an uptick in snowpack once in Lynbrook/Valley Stream this morning, but not as much as I thought actually. Rain pounded a lot of the snowpack down everywhere and made it settle like crazy. Hopefully that also means it can stay better against the warm/sun we have today. Manhattan today is an absolute mess with puddles and slush.

Wow, NYC is at 54 inches for the season. Is it possible that we can challenge the 1995-1996 totals? More snow tomorrow, Tuesday and then a reload of the winter pattern by the end of the month.

as of Feb 29,1996 NYC received 61.7" of snow....if we can record 7.7 over the next two weeks we will be on par with the King, himself

Port Jeff 12.8" for the storm (12.0" 1st half & 0.8" 2nd half)

Monthly Total: 25.8"

Seasonal Total: 58.3"

Record for Long Island was in 1995-96 when the NWS cooperative at Patchogue reported 92.0" of snow...including 16.0" in April alone.

...the NWS cooperative at Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport (just east of Huntington) reported 18 inches of snow on the ground as of 7 AM this morning.

...the NWS cooperative at Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport (just east of Huntington) reported 18 inches of snow on the ground as of 7 AM this morning.

snow depth at 11 PM tonight...the lightest blue is 4 to 8 the 2nd blue is 8 to 12 the 3rd blue is 12 to 16 and the purple right on the extreme N. Shore 16 to 20.

post-747-0-66710700-1392439393_thumb.png

I think we probably have 9-10" on the ground in many places here, although it depends on how much sun was experienced today. On the more open malls and south facing lawns more was lost. I have a north facing lawn, so the sun was away from the lawn and we really didn't lose a lot of snow. And we are radiating nicely here, so hopefully the snow is freezing up. The piles here are becoming massive though, we have some that are easily 15 feet high now and are as big as I think I've ever seen. This wet dense snow takes up a tremendous amount of mass and after compressing to a point just becomes rock solid.

I think we probably have 9-10" on the ground in many places here, although it depends on how much sun was experienced today. On the more open malls and south facing lawns more was lost. I have a north facing lawn, so the sun was away from the lawn and we really didn't lose a lot of snow. And we are radiating nicely here, so hopefully the snow is freezing up. The piles here are becoming massive though, we have some that are easily 15 feet high now and are as big as I think I've ever seen. This wet dense snow takes up a tremendous amount of mass and after compressing to a point just becomes rock solid.

The original base here is not breakable with an ordinary yardstick...you need to chop some to get to the bottom.

Port Jeff 12.8" for the storm (12.0" 1st half & 0.8" 2nd half)

Monthly Total: 25.8"

Seasonal Total: 58.3"

Record for Long Island was in 1995-96 when the NWS cooperative at Patchogue reported 92.0" of snow...including 16.0" in April alone.

Not an official coop, but 95" in Smithtown that winter.  The Smithtown observer uses a less slanted stick than Patchogue occasionally did.  ;)

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SmithtownDailySnowfall.pdf

Archived