Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah... totally makes sense with the terrain.

I still don't understand.  We had screaming NE winds most of the day.  It's not like we are in a hole in the ground with some kind of local cold air damming, which is painfully obvious with most other changeover situations.  Freezing rain happens here with CAA to keep it going, not because the cold air is slow to erode (as happens often in the interior).

I suppose there could be some bubbles of colder air scattered about and maybe we were lucky to persist under one of them.  I did see this indicated in a couple of model runs yesterday but paid it no mind.

02z HRRR is 2 to 4 from Monmouth County into the 5 Boroughs and Nassau County . I`m just so fried , I don't know if it`s right , just

letting you guys know what it`s saying .

Can't see where that would come from. Radar looks like a coating at best in Nassau and even NYC. The HRRR did not do so well with this round.

Lol I hear ya..this storm took a toll on our sanity

If you told me back in Dec we had a shot at 3 below and 60 inches of snow , I may have sent you a pinky in a shoe box .

We raked in Monmouth County this year . We caught every Arctic wave , great ratios well timed blocks . Really rallied all year .

So fried with this yes  . Sat one last shot and then need to den up for a bit.

Great year , we lose one on the back end , stuff happens

I believe 94 had 54 inches in New Brunswick area; the year is referenced in McGreevey's bio as the worst winter he'd ever seen ( who knew 96, 2003, et al was in the future ) when analogs came out I didn't believe them because nothing like 94 with its ice ever occurred again. This year gave it a run, but it still gets the nod for intense cold and the worst ice storm in memory, plus the two mini blizzards. Still, this was one heck of a year. And because this is an obs thread and I don't want to get disciplined :) it is quiet in Woodbridge with icy conditions from some earlier sleet. Schools is session in the AM. The super did say he might change his mind if we get a lot more snow. So  kids in central NJ, do your HW.

The sleet was slamming against the window ten minutes ago.  Suddenly, I didn't hear it.  Thought a low radar return was passing over.  Checked radar. Nope, still under 35dbzs.  I ran to the deck, turned on the flood lights and lo and behold, HEAVY snow.  Accumulating nicely too. Hopefully a couple hours of this.

Wow what happened!! We were Looking good for a couple more!

IDK-it might enhance some more as it approaches us, but I wouldn't expect anything more than a couple of inches. At least it seems to be on an eastward enough trajectory to hit Nassau County at least. This is no XMAS 2002 CCB band, that's for sure.

Models have no clue on this setup, the radar now in no way resembles anything I saw...the system appears also to have more E-NE movement than NE or even NNE as some models showed.

I know-I'm kind of surprised by this as models before had the snow consolidating over N NJ and largely moving north from there. Perhaps this can still be a surprise but I was hoping for a more solid snow area instead of this patchy stuff. The N NJ guys hoping for another 8"+ from this will be disappointed in the morning I think.

Archived