Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

Wow pretty crazy.. we are 4 degrees warmer than you across the sound all aftn

I was acutely aware of that and would love to hear an explanation of why.  Checking the Wundermaps, the PWS around this part of the north shore were all below freezing throughout the day while just about everywhere else seemed to be above.  I'd love to know what magic that was.

Mind you I am not complaining.

But all good things must end and we are now up to 32 (32.0) with light rain.

As of 7PM we had melted equivalent of 1.45" for the day (all of it having fallen as frozen precip).  The 4" gage didn't catch much snow so I took a core right off of a snowboard and melted it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took one of the worse jeb walks ever...literally like a tsunami hit us and instantly froze lol anyways the radar kind of looks like dec 2010 with the way its pivoting like that. I remember all the weenie suicides that were occuring when NENJ and NYC were caught in the subsidence zone. 34 here with light rain

I was acutely aware of that and would love to hear an explanation of why. Checking the Wundermaps, the PWS around this part of the north shore were all below freezing throughout the day while just about everywhere else seemed to be above. I'd love to know what magic that was.

Mind you I am not complaining.

But all good things must end and we are now up to 32 (32.0) with light rain.

As of 7PM we had melted equivalent of 1.45" for the day (all of it having fallen as frozen precip). The 4" gage didn't catch much snow so I took a core right off of a snowboard and melted it.

I have no idea what in God's name happened there... insanely bizarre. Has something like that happened before?

I have no idea what in God's name happened there... insanely bizarre. Has something like that happened before?

I'm 10 miles to Ed's east and maxed out at 33.0 F today...IDK...maybe the downsloping that affects New Haven & Bridgeport is sort of ameliorated by the Sound as the winds come out of the northeast...the area is a bit elevated too...though not much over the 300' contour...and we are both beneath that.

Honestly I think it has a lot to do with the terrain of the North Shore. Smithtown to rocky point have Hills and bluffs which many times shield them from any sound influence, while at the same time being far enough North to negate Atlantic influence coming in from the south Shore

Yes, but not to this extent.  Rain on all sides of us including parts of the Hudson Valley while there is frozen precip here was a bit extreme.  Sometimes we'll get snow while others are raining because we are lucky enough to be under a heavy band, but this is something else.  We've had similar days to today where we never changed over while most of the island did, but those times areas  further north did not change over either.

Hard to complain at all after receiving 14" on the front end and then some thunder and lightning tonight. Awesome event. 

Real awesome event, and an even more awesome winter! Parking lot piles in front of every house.....Whatever we get tonight Im okay with and I wouldn't mind one bit if we dont cash in on the heavier snows. I'd rather have the NW folks cash in due to it being more rural and open. Congrats everyone and I know you're thinking the same thing earthlight, maybe we can cash in on our luck this winter in the summer!

Some GFS qpf numbers for the system:

BDR: 0.32"

BOS: 0.78"

FOK: 0.68"

HPN: 0.29"

HVN: 0.36"

EWR: 0.26"

ISP: 0.40"

JFK: 0.30"

LGA: 0.27"

MMU: 0.28"

MTP: 1.18"

NYC: 0.27"

PVD: 0.90"

TTN: 0.18"

Is that for after 0Z or was that from a previous run for the entire event?  We had 1.45" melted as of 7PM which was before the freezing rain / rain showers moved in this evening.

Honestly I think it has a lot to do with the terrain of the North Shore. Smithtown to rocky point have Hills and bluffs which many times shield them from any sound influence, while at the same time being far enough North to negate Atlantic influence coming in from the south Shore

Ah... totally makes sense with the terrain.

02z HRRR  is 2 to 4 from Monmouth County into the 5 Boroughs and Nassau County . I`m just so fried , I  don't know if it`s right , just

letting you guys know what it`s saying .

Haha I feel you Paul and now er have 1 more to track I cant remember track models for like a month straight...just an insane pattern

I'm 10 miles to Ed's east and maxed out at 33.0 F today...IDK...maybe the downsloping that affects New Haven & Bridgeport is sort of ameliorated by the Sound as the winds come out of the northeast...the area is a bit elevated too...though not much over the 300' contour...and we are both beneath that.

Just to add...though there may be no long term (reliable) climate record for this area...the high resolution snowfall forecast maps such as the GEM LAM and several of the ones that can be found over at the Canadien Metrocentre site do apparently recognize the minor difference in temperature in this area...consistently forecasting heavier snowfall amounts for these few square miles than most other nearby locations; especially when borderline conditions (for snow) exist.

Archived