Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crush job here in Poughkeepsie.  Didn't go all the way out to get a new snow measurement yet, but my snow depth is at 29".  Thought this was pretty cool from the NWS in Alb, a mesolow formed in the Hudson Valley: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=759161867429034&set=a.259090497436176.74404.252838241394735&type=1&theater  

Wow, quickly up to 1.25" of new snow - got 1" in the last ~30 minutes - been snowing heavily (<1/4 mile visibility) most of the last 30 minutes.  Doesn't look like it'll last too much longer at this rate, but with at least one more good band off to the west, I'm liking our chances of at least getting to 2" for this round - something about a 12" overall snowfall sounds nice. 

Ended up with 3" of new snow from part 2 of the storm, bringing the storm total up to 13" here in Metuchen.  Nice!  Have to say that part 2 is gorgeous, as the snow has stuck to every surface, making for a spectacular landscape. Brings me to 55" (edit - original post said 53.5" - had an error) for the season, with hopefully a few more to come on Saturday. 

I wonder if, when we posted three weeks ago that we could enter an active period that we will remember for a while, this is what Isotherm had in mind. Certainly isn't exactly how I envisioned it shaking down...but no complaints.

It's really a testament to how good the long range guidance can be at times. I can remember all the discussions

about the cold and snowy look of the CFS back in late January. 

Archived