Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6-8" areawide from the backside of a system that gave us 8-12" this morning and you're saying meh.

Take a break. 

13" here! in NE NJ

But thank you for that. Honestly this beast looks incredible on radar. Such a potent storm, all so incredibly interesting. Theres always the flip side, this could be a huge overperformer . Radar is key. Shes exploding.

We are not gona lose any precip to mid level warmth  . even the surfaces are fine .

Do you find it concerning about the snow pack for tomorrow since it is predicted that NYC will reach 40 degrees before Saturday's storm? I assume that being above freezing with dry conditions isn't as harsh to the snow pack than having temps above freezing with moisture and clouds.

There`s 4 other models that look nothing like  the 4k NAM for NYC  why would you ever give it a second thought .

You guys have to look at all the guidance and use a blend .

Agreed and the 4km NAM is often biased too far northwest with banding anyway even at the closest possible range.

Do you find it concerning about the snow pack for tomorrow since it is predicted that NYC will reach 40 degrees before Saturday's storm? I assume that being above freezing with dry conditions isn't as harsh to the snow pack than having temps above freezing with moisture and clouds.

Snow pack concern ? I`m more concerned about where I am gona put all this snow  by Sat.

The RAP is pretty consistent with AT LEAST 3" of snowfall over NENJ/NYC, and very consistent with at least 5" of snow over NWNJ into the Hudson valley. The question is whether we cash in on 5-7" or more of a 3,4 range....could go either way but quite honestly I'm happy either way. There's been considerable melting and settling (maybe 3-4 inches or so), so this will replenish that

The HRRR looks too far east with the most organized area of convective precipitation through the first several hours of its run. Looking at the radar from KLWX and KDIX, the most organized precipitation is forming near DCA and in that part of VA, while the HRRR had the steady precipitation over Delaware. 

We will have to see if this begins to pivot northeastward from the VA/DC region towards Delaware in the next hour or two. If it doesn't it could be a tip off that the HRRR and RAP are too far east with this activity. This would not be a terrible shock as we are cutting it close based on the track of the H7 and H85 lows anyway. 

That 38" spot is the high peaks are of the Catskills.

It's a moot point since it has no way of actually verifying, but that 40" spot is actually on the border of Dutchess and Putnam counties.  WB has a beta page with the NYC metro and you can get a close up view.  Regardless, looks like it should be a fun event to watch unfold and many on here will be able to pad their snow totals a little more.

The HRRR looks too far east with the most organized area of convective precipitation through the first several hours of its run. Looking at the radar from KLWX and KDIX, the most organized precipitation is forming near DCA and in that part of VA, while the HRRR had the steady precipitation over Delaware. 

We will have to see if this begins to pivot northeastward from the VA/DC region towards Delaware in the next hour or two. If it doesn't it could be a tip off that the HRRR and RAP are too far east with this activity. This would not be a terrible shock as we are cutting it close based on the track of the H7 and H85 lows anyway. 

Yea John I was just seeing the same thing, Our hope is that the second band becomes the main band not the one pivoting now

Archived