joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little bit of extra snow on the back edge has added a couple tenths to my storm total. 

6.5" storm total

13" snow depth

Season total to date: 49.2"

I have to get out and measure again. Broke 50" for the season but have to find out by how much.

Check out this: http://phillywx.com/forum/medium-and-long-range-discussion/7409-february-discussion?p=12294#post12294

and this: http://phillywx.com/forum/medium-and-long-range-discussion/12527-2-13-weeklies-because-nothing-else-is-going-on-today?p=12538#post12538

Interesting.

GFS appears to have mostly snow here and .44 qpf for Tuesday.

Also reading that the Euro ensembles end the warmup after warm days on Feb 19-22. And the Euro Weeklies are cold weeks 3-4.

Onward marches winter.

I expect that we will see a notable warm up for several days, which is needed and long overdue at this point. However, I'll be curious to see what the magnitude of it ends up ultimately being with all this snow on the ground and nearly 60% of the country covered in snow at this point. I'm personally hoping for a muted warmup to keep the melting in check  Last thing we need is a full blown torch accompanied by a rainstorm with the deep snowpack and ridiculous amounts of ice on our waterways. 

If anyone has radar PBP images from this please share would love to archive

Richard Grumm does event analyses here http://cms.met.psu.edu/sref/severe/currentCasesV2.php

http://locust.mmm.ucar.edu/ <-- not sure if you can save but will always be there

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/radar/radarresources.html <-- archived radar data though I have never used it

Some monster totals showing up in the PNS, Biggest surprise was the 22.5" reported in Glencoe (extreme southeastern Somerset County) at 445pm. That county started today in an advisory.  Then of course the 15-20+  totals in York and Lancaster counties...man what a season for you guys down there.

Some monster totals showing up in the PNS, Biggest surprise was the 22.5" reported in Glencoe (extreme southeastern Somerset County) at 445pm. That county started today in an advisory.  Then of course the 15-20+  totals in York and Lancaster counties...man what a season for you guys down there.

I just want to say thanks to you and other mets in the pa thread for all the great info, and yes it has been a great season.

A little bit of extra snow on the back edge has added a couple tenths to my storm total. 

6.5" storm total

13" snow depth

Season total to date: 49.2"

It's been a nice winter. I have to say being close to my seasonal average is impressive, considering that there hasn't really been many lake effect events this winter. 

Looking over some of the remarks it looks as if I missed out on a great back end just to my east. Anyway with an additional 1 1/2 inches of concrete over night have ended up with a total of 15" in Hanover (York County) and a seasonal total of 50". Don't snow board to measure and with the latter half of the storm being wet and compacting a good deal I will be curious to see what the official total will be for the area.

On a side note can anyone link me to a good site for a map of storm fall totals? Thanks.

Not official by any means but 11" from round one and another 4" from round 2 with one awesome lightning sighting. If correct, 15" total just misses Lancaster top ten all time list (#10 is 16").

Just saw on WGAL another 2 - 5" forecast through tomorrow morning.

Not official by any means but 11" from round one and another 4" from round 2 with one awesome lightning sighting. If correct, 15" total just misses Lancaster top ten all time list (#10 is 16").

Just saw on WGAL another 2 - 5" forecast through tomorrow morning.

I think officially at MU they had 12.6" from round one and 4.5" from round two for a total of 17.1" and that would be a top 10.

Sent from my iPhone

I had 10.5" offically.  All this but the .5" came with the first round.  I was stuck between bands the rest of the storm.  Border counties to my south the east all had reports of 20+" of snow.  Glad to see our north and west crew get the heavy band that pushed many into warning levels.  This was a good storm for my local area but missing the second band last night was rather a bummer.

9" is my official final total... 36.6" for the season

walking on the snow doesn't even do the depth justice... I still have about 4" or so compacted to almost ice underneath in some spots that it was tough to dig and find grass... I havnt had a total depth of 13-15" since Feb 2010 and I was living north of Pittsburgh then...

I have only had 1 day with no snow cover in the last 24 days

Archived