• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

Looking nice for a 1-3" event around here. LSV guys 2-4". Shrewsbury, York County jackpot 6".  ;)

Tellin ya, York County, especially the SE part, is PA's extreme weather capital.

My next door neighbor just IM'd me this:

Hey Jamie home today what's going on with these snow showers? Really coming down...are we supposed to get much? 

Check out the cams, really coming down. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope ZAK is ok!  Probably passed out from all the tracking!  Man has it been a winter down here. A winter full of sharp cutoffs, ice, heavy snow, and extreme cold.  I love the snow and tracking storms but it has been very harsh in this area.  What made it tough is all the sharp cutoff storms where we get 8-10 inches and 10 miles down the road almost nothing.  When you work in the area that got the shaft and live in the "snowbelt" it is really disruptive.  I lost 4 days of work being stuck back here.  At least now everything is kind of shut down so it makes life easy.

Historic winter on the Mason Dixon line.  Trust me it doesn't always snow here, but when it does it can go big.  Part of that is the elevation, relative proximity to the coast, and the terrain.  When we are cold enough and get the moisture it is squeezed out to the max around here.  Anyway more snow tonight, should be fun!  The last few winters were nothing here, so this makes up for it in a big way.

A few pictures from part 1 and part 2 of the "Blizzard" of 2014.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32639942@N03/sets/72157640931575715/show

24.5 inches total. 

The CCB jackpotted York-LNS-Lehigh Valley-NW NJ-Hudson Valley it seems. 95 metro areas seemed to have only gotten like 2-3" additional.

The snow last night was insane. I'm not going to say I haven't seen heavier snow, but yeah...it was a no-doubt-about it HEAVY snow. Visibility was no more than a couple hundred feet.

Hope ZAK is ok!  Probably passed out from all the tracking!  Man has it been a winter down here. A winter full of sharp cutoffs, ice, heavy snow, and extreme cold.  I love the snow and tracking storms but it has been very harsh in this area.  What made it tough is all the sharp cutoff storms where we get 8-10 inches and 10 miles down the road almost nothing.  When you work in the area that got the shaft and live in the "snowbelt" it is really disruptive.  I lost 4 days of work being stuck back here.  At least now everything is kind of shut down so it makes life easy.

Historic winter on the Mason Dixon line.  Trust me it doesn't always snow here, but when it does it can go big.  Part of that is the elevation, relative proximity to the coast, and the terrain.  When we are cold enough and get the moisture it is squeezed out to the max around here.  Anyway more snow tonight, should be fun!  The last few winters were nothing here, so this makes up for it in a big way.

A few pictures from part 1 and part 2 of the "Blizzard" of 2014.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32639942@N03/sets/72157640931575715/show

24.5 inches total. 

Im less than 10 miles from mason dixon line and one county over from you and it has been anything but historic.   

The amount of water in the snow pack in central pa is impressive. Seems even with melting some it just gets absorbed back into the snow pack and freezes again when temps drop. Add to that the ice on a lot of the rivers and it starts to get scary if we get a strong cutter dumping a couple of inches of rain and spiking temps into the 50s

Archived