• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

Storm total: 12.5" with 1.57" liquid. Snow totals obviously were effected by the warm upper levels. Must say the Euro nailed the total precipitation for me according to the last map I saw. I'm at 50.3" for the season and would be happy to go to spring right now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that the NWS is using social media sources for snowfall reports. How do they ensure the validity of the data?

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/pnsmaps/snow/snowfall.php

21" in Camp Hill... :lol:   You would think they would weed out the obviously erroneous reports.  I'd guess 90% of the reports they receive via social media will be within 15% of the actual totals, which is probably about the best one can hope for.

I just shoveled outside the office in Bellefonte...I'd say 8-9" fell here.  6th shoveling when I get home this afternoon...I'm beat.

Some light snow coming down now and radar looks interesting to the west.  Appears to be accumulating on roadways in Clearfield County per traffic cams.

16" total here, 18" on the ground. 5" in 4 hours last evening.

Thats awesome.

9" is my official final total... 36.6" for the season

walking on the snow doesn't even do the depth justice... I still have about 4" or so compacted to almost ice underneath in some spots that it was tough to dig and find grass... I havnt had a total depth of 13-15" since Feb 2010 and I was living north of Pittsburgh then...

I have only had 1 day with no snow cover in the last 24 days

i'm putting it in my notes as 10.25". I couldn't get at my normal measuring spot, nor did i clean it after the ice on 2/5, so i used my driveway as my measuring spot. I had to clean another 1/4' off my driveway this morning in addition to what the township plowed in front of it. Bastards. <- kidding, i know all the township guys!

I noticed that the NWS is using social media sources for snowfall reports. How do they ensure the validity of the data?

I'm even skeptical of the official airport reading. At some point they had announced a record of 8.3 inches, but the PNS still has an old reading of 7.9 from before noon yesterday!

Went out to shovel off the dusting we received in the wrap around snow and f'n fell TWICE back-to-back walking back to the garage. First time didn't hurt, but man I landed right smack on my tailbone the second and it's gonna smart.

Be careful, fellas.

when i was getting out of the plow truck this morning, my foot slipped on the snow covered running board and i wrapped my elbow off the door post, hurts like a mofo

when i was getting out of the plow truck this morning, my foot slipped on the snow covered running board and i wrapped my elbow off the door post, hurts like a mofo

Ouch. I think I might've bruises a rib and my butt pretty good. Once I'm sitting I'm somewhat OK but the process of going sit-to-stand is worse than waterboarding.* I just popped a fistful of Advil in hopes I don't go completely stiff while sitting here at work.

*please note I have never been waterboarded and apologize to anyone who has

I'm even skeptical of the official airport reading. At some point they had announced a record of 8.3 inches, but the PNS still has an old reading of 7.9 from before noon yesterday!

CTP hasn't updated their monthly/seasonal totals for UNV yet. I wanted to see the official number and to see if it got UNV to normal for the season on Feb. 13. 

they dont mind if bad obs are reported as being bad... part of why they put out the obviously bad ones is to get reports that they are wrong and more accurate are given

I'm up to 56" for the season. Remarkable. I know that MDT is way behind me and they are 15 miles from me...

...then again, I-83 BLIZZARD must be approaching 100". The southern tier/northern MD have been jackpotted virtually every storm this winter.

That is why I am never big on city specific climatology numbers. In weather, even a couple of miles can make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they dont mind if bad obs are reported as being bad... part of why they put out the obviously bad ones is to get reports that they are wrong and more accurate are given

did you happen to measure wind last evening? About 11pm it sounded as if the flags were going to rip off the pole at the firehouse last night.

CTP hasn't updated their monthly/seasonal totals for UNV yet. I wanted to see the official number and to see if it got UNV to normal for the season on Feb. 13. 

8.0".  Month-to-date total is 19.0".  Winter-to-date total is 40.1".  Season-to-date total is 44.1".  So, we have, I believe, reached normal for the season; what is the official normal? -- I see lots of numbers right around 43" that pose as normals for UNV.  

**Storm total, then, is 9.5" since there was 1.5" at yesterday's ob.  

Got the last flight out of Orlando last night and landed in Philly at 11PM. Philly was like Atlanta with nothing plowed and 476 with 4 inches of snow on it- what a joke! Couldn't get north and crashed at my parents.

Drove up north to Clarks Summit this AM and my wife and kids had already shoveled the new 14 inches. Happy Valentine's Day to me!

8.0".  Month-to-date total is 19.0".  Winter-to-date total is 40.1".  Season-to-date total is 44.1".  So, we have, I believe, reached normal for the season; what is the official normal? -- I see lots of numbers right around 43" that pose as normals for UNV.  

Seasonal average from 1893-2013 is 45.4".

Seasonal average from 1893-2013 is 45.4".

I measured 7.9 this am. Puts me at 53.6" for the year. 

Official 30 year average for UNV is 45.6. As of today, they are at 44.1.

Ouch. I think I might've bruises a rib and my butt pretty good. Once I'm sitting I'm somewhat OK but the process of going sit-to-stand is worse than waterboarding.* I just popped a fistful of Advil in hopes I don't go completely stiff while sitting here at work.

*please note I have never been waterboarded and apologize to anyone who has

If you still have problems in a couple of days get it checked. I have chronic back issues. (I just had my 4th major surgery three weeks ago)

If you still have problems in a couple of days get it checked. I have chronic back issues. (I just had my 4th major surgery three weeks ago)

It'll be OK. My butt's just sore, the rib is maybe cracked or something but I've been there, done that. It doesn't hurt to breath so can't be too terrible. Just no sudden movements for a few days and lots and lots of Advil at work then liquor all weekend at home!

Euro Weeklies via Adam Moyer at PhillyWx.com: 

PHL Temperature Anomalies
Week 1: +1
Week 2: -2
Week 3: -3
Week 4: -2

General H5 Anomaly Pattern
Week 1: -AO/+EPO/SE Ridge
Week 2: +PNA/+NAO/Mean trough over Lake Erie
Week 3: -EPO/+NAO/Mean trough over Lake Michigan (i.e. standard 2013-14 winter)
Week 4: -EPO/+NAO

Winter rolling on right into mid-March. 

Archived