amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope ZAK is ok!  Probably passed out from all the tracking!  Man has it been a winter down here. A winter full of sharp cutoffs, ice, heavy snow, and extreme cold.  I love the snow and tracking storms but it has been very harsh in this area.  What made it tough is all the sharp cutoff storms where we get 8-10 inches and 10 miles down the road almost nothing.  When you work in the area that got the shaft and live in the "snowbelt" it is really disruptive.  I lost 4 days of work being stuck back here.  At least now everything is kind of shut down so it makes life easy.

Historic winter on the Mason Dixon line.  Trust me it doesn't always snow here, but when it does it can go big.  Part of that is the elevation, relative proximity to the coast, and the terrain.  When we are cold enough and get the moisture it is squeezed out to the max around here.  Anyway more snow tonight, should be fun!  The last few winters were nothing here, so this makes up for it in a big way.

A few pictures from part 1 and part 2 of the "Blizzard" of 2014.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32639942@N03/sets/72157640931575715/show

24.5 inches total. 

Pretty spectacular pictures. Not as much as down there, but 17" up here at Millersville packed quite a punch. Cars barricaded into their spots (I was lucky enough to be one of them <_< ). Warmer day definitely helped, but more snow on the way to basically replace the lost snow here. Been a remarkable season thus far. Personally from snow I've seen fall over my house in MD, Millersville, Penn Yan, NY and driving, I've seen about 80" of snow this year. My friends who went to OWLeS up off Lake Ontario have seen more like 200" this year from all these snow events. Wild year of weather. Imagine if we had a -NAO. Just wow

Pretty spectacular pictures. Not as much as down there, but 17" up here at Millersville packed quite a punch. Cars barricaded into their spots (I was lucky enough to be one of them <_< ). Warmer day definitely helped, but more snow on the way to basically replace the lost snow here. Been a remarkable season thus far. Personally from snow I've seen fall over my house in MD, Millersville, Penn Yan, NY and driving, I've seen about 80" of snow this year. My friends who went to OWLeS up off Lake Ontario have seen more like 200" this year from all these snow events. Wild year of weather. Imagine if we had a -NAO. Just wow

Yeah, we are doing all of this without a solid -NAO. Although that +PNA helped a bunch. But I think the once overlooked EPO may prove to be a better indice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we are doing all of this without a solid -NAO. Although that +PNA helped a bunch. But I think the once overlooked EPO may prove to be a better indice.

Sent from my iPhone

Agree with this statement. I'm pretty sure someone on the Mid-Atlantic board did some research on this feature and actually proved that the EPO signal is a slightly better indicator for "most" areas on the upcoming winter. The +PNA was huge to bring in the motherload of cold air from Canada, but that -EPO proved to drive the pattern for the most part. That NAO signal was the only thing that didn't work out in our favor, but we really didn't need it too much from 40N on northward (or N. MD north if you want to get technical). Tonight looks good for 2-4" in this area and 83 Blizzard will get death banded and walk away with as much as Cape Cod is looking forward to.......j/k   :lmao:

Roof collapse at WGAL reported. You ok, AllWeather?

Doesn't look like it was a complete collapse. The structural integrity of the building was unknown after hearing some noises and seeing bowing beams so the building was evacuated until integrity could be determined.

http://lancasteronline.com/lancaster/news/snow-on-roof-forces-evacuation-at-wgal/article_fcf12404-95b9-11e3-aba7-0017a43b2370.html

That made me laugh.

I-83 should start a bed & blizzard house. That way if someone has a hankering for a foot of snow book a room.

LOL!!!!!!  No kidding!  :lmao::drunk: My wife who is not a snow weenie is always fretting. 

Typical quotes from her this winter:

"I don't understand why this is hitting us again.  They are not getting this in Hunt Valley." 

"Channel 8 only called for 3-5, why do we have all this snow"

"Why is this hitting us again"

"Where is Penn Dot"

"This is ridiculous why is it always hitting only us"

"Schools are never open anymore"

"That child hasn't had a full week of snow since December"

:weight_lift: :weight_lift: :facepalm:

LOL!!!!!!  No kidding!  :lmao::drunk: My wife who is not a snow weenie is always fretting. 

Typical quotes from her this winter:

"I don't understand why this is hitting us again.  They are not getting this in Hunt Valley." 

"Channel 8 only called for 3-5, why do we have all this snow"

"Why is this hitting us again"

"Where is Penn Dot"

"This is ridiculous why is it always hitting only us"

"Schools are never open anymore"

"That child hasn't had a full week of snow since December"

:weight_lift: :weight_lift: :facepalm:

Where is the like button  :thumbsup:

Maybe they were afraid the kids would trip over themselves on the dry pavement or melt from the sun. It got above freezing you know  ;)

Tuesday morning around here was an ultimate example this week. After two snow days and a couple delays between the two severe cold shots back in January, there wasn't a delay to be had when we had the coldest morning of the season by several degrees (-15F). They also got away with going on time yesterday and dismissing early right as the death band was arriving. 

Tuesday morning around here was an ultimate example this week. After two snow days and a couple delays between the two severe cold shots back in January, there wasn't a delay to be had

when we had the coldest morning of the season by several degrees (-15F). They also got away with going on time yesterday and dismissing early right as the death band was arriving.

Thoughts on the clipper?

Thoughts on the clipper?

While I do think best amounts will focus on the Laurels and the south central counties immediately adjacent (up to 4-6"), I don't think we'll see a marked drop off east of the mountains like some are thinking with the low moving south of PA and in the process of deepening as it hits the coast and heads to New England. I like a general 2-3" east of the mountains in the advised areas. 

Archived