joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2.12.14 Let's do discussion Here

sferic

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys really want to be in NW NJ and near POU and points north for this I think, CCB that is. It could sneak into EWR and NYC has an inch or two..but if NYC were to get this...you need an eastward adjustment.

looks to curl just west of LI. i could see ewr getting clipped with a few inches

That's bad meteorology, it absolutely matters about the track.

I agree , think you`re scenario would mean the track would need to come inside  providence . I  think its SE  of the BM and over CC .

Think that energy out of CPA comes ENE and tags Philly to NYC , But that just MO 

Except that analog isn't remotely accurate for what we are seeing down south. Heavy snow in eastern NC right now.

Yes it looks like the best accumulations will be east of where the Superstorm had them.

My bigger point was that none of the top 15 are big hits for the immediate coast. Yesterday that was not the case.

That's bad meteorology, it absolutely matters about the track.

Let me correct my previous statement. There have been storms where the hi-res models less than 48 hours out had NYC on east with the best lift/dynamics and lapse rates for the heaviest snowfall in the banding only for it to verify west and by the time it pivots over LI save for a few occasions its was more than noticably weaker than when it was at its peak intensity. Track does matter your right and shoudlve added that but i was more getting at some saying it would wack the entire area contradicted that due to multiple pass experiences with CCB's. sorry for not being more thorough with my statement when i should've coastalwx

Let me correct my previous statement. There have been storms where the hi-res models less than 48 hours out had NYC on east with the best lift/dynamics and lapse rates for the heaviest snowfall in the banding only for it to verify west and by the time it pivots over LI save for a few occasions its was more than noticably weaker than when it was at its peak intensity. Track does matter your right and shoudlve added that but i was more getting at some saying it would wack the entire area contradicted that due to multiple pass experiences with CCB's. sorry for not being more thorough with my statement when i should've coastalwx

Look at the mid level low tracks and where they shift, and that will be where any backlash comes through. Regardless, it looks like whatever falls with that will have to fight through a still nasty warm layer, so a good amount may be sleet.

The difference in this situation is that our main low pressure system is being pulled west by the Great Lakes Low, which is transferring its energy to the coast.  That's why the models are tugging the low towards the Jersey Coast before heading North and North east.  A lull in the precipitation forms because the two disturbances are merging, and a new Central Low Pressure is trying to relocate between the two systems based on the strength of both systems.   

Therefore, the low is kind of sitting in one position as this transfer takes place and precipitation builds back into New Jersey as the coastal is shifting closer to the coast before exiting. 

Union county looks to go from 8-10 east of the parkway to 14-18 west but that seems odd

I think it will be a more uniform distribution across Long Island and should reach warning criteria almost everywhere except the Twin Forks maybe. The front end is really going to produce-models are harping on it more and more. Heavy precip rates will also try to hold off the rain line as much as possible. Hopefully what comes after is largely just the dry slot. I'd go 6-10" for Long Island except 4-7" on the Twin Forks. NYC may be close to 10", JFK maybe 8". I think West Milford looks good for the jackpot-I think someone up in northern Morris, Passaic and Orange County, NY may see 18"+. 12" line is roughly just west of the GWB. A lot though rests on the backlash producing up there-it seems like some might fall as sleet. It'll take a few inches off totals if that is overdone or is warm.

Like i said earlier in this thread regardless of the current track these CCB's love NJ/NYC area, HV and SWCT. As they pivot east across LI they lose lots of their punch, areas where it hits hard may see an extra 9-12" and as it gets to the coast it ends up being a few inches at best as the best dynamics and lift are lost. This is from my past experiences with deform bands that start in the NYC area and move east

I'm not throwing in the towel on the Ccb here yet. You did clarify you're earlier thoughts though. When the Ccb sets up 50 miles west of you as it slowly pivots east it tends weaken. The key is to get it to set up over you for us that was 2002 for eastern li last year.

I'm starting to have a feeling the front end dump is going to be nuts with all that convection comming north we could see dynamic thunder snow in the 3" an hour range at some point across the board. I'm not going to loose sleep over the Ccb literally

I think it will be a more uniform distribution across Long Island and should reach warning criteria almost everywhere except the Twin Forks maybe. The front end is really going to produce-models are harping on it more and more. Heavy precip rates will also try to hold off the rain line as much as possible. Hopefully what comes after is largely just the dry slot. I'd go 6-10" for Long Island except 4-7" on the Twin Forks. NYC may be close to 10", JFK maybe 8". I think West Milford looks good for the jackpot-I think someone up in northern Morris, Passaic and Orange County, NY may see 18"+. 12" line is roughly just west of the GWB. A lot though rests on the backlash producing up there-it seems like some might fall as sleet. It'll take a few inches off totals if that is overdone or is warm.

6-10" on LI is pretty conservative right now so i agree with that. Bulk of that is front end dumping as i am not relying a strong CCB to cross LI and substantially add to what we accumulated in the morning

6-10" on LI is pretty conservative right now so i agree with that. Bulk of that is front end dumping as i am not relying a strong CCB to cross LI and substantially add to what we accumulated in the morning

We're relying on a 6, maybe 8 hour period to produce most of our snow. 6-10" in those hours would be crazy for us. If we get another couple of inches later call that a bonus.

We're relying on a 6, maybe 8 hour period to produce most of our snow. 6-10" in those hours would be crazy for us. If we get another couple of inches later call that a bonus.

We are lucking out yet again this season with the only reason we are doing so well tomorrow morning is the 

massive CAD courtesy of the strong -EPO pulse Arctic high slipping down.

Otherwise, the teleconnections tomorrow are really weak with a -PNA neutral AO and +NAO.

I would be shocked if JFK gets more snow then te nw Nassau hills in fact I would bet the farm. I think upton goes with warning for Northern Nassau NYC and advisory southern Nassau Suffolk,

Personally I highly doubt that verifys I think the front end dump is intense and uniform with everyone but the forks scoring 6-8 through NYC as the change over moves more nnw then west and quicker then usual.

I do not see you're normal slow moving coastal front but more a rapid push .

Archived