joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2.12.14 Let's do discussion Here

sferic

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What type of impact would it have, would the low pressure move further south and east than progged torwards the convection? 

I guess that would be possible but it's really the fast negative tilting and closing off that sends warm air in so fast (but also generates the massive front end thumping). I still think personally it hugs the coast up to maybe Cape May and then heads ENE/NE from there when the kicker catches up.

Wraps up at 09z or 3AM on Friday morning. The total QPF on this run is about an inch+ less than what 06z showed thanks to the dry slotting. (all per the 4k NAM) Instead the heaviest totals are north and east of NYC.

We desperately need the mid level centers to pass further south and east to avoid the dry slotting.

Or we need H5 to close off and get that CCB cranking faster.

Just FYI, 9z is 4am (EST is GMT -5).

The Upper feature and low in the gulf are under development, and N. GA will get a comma head CCB tonight. The radar doesn't look great, but it will continue to fill in and back-build, especially East and Northeast of ATL

The negative tilting of the trough will throw a lot more moisture back that way. Their storm is nowhere close to finished yet.

The front end looks absolutely nasty on the most recent models this morning, insane VV's and lift come through around dawn and could drop 2-3"/hr at times. I'm fairly confident at 6"+ areawide before mixing.

The model trends have been great, IMO. The 500mb low is slowly trending more organized, so we all get a great front-end thump -- perhaps a 6-9 hour period of 1-3"/hr snowfall rates at times. Then we dry-slot -- the more west and stronger 500mb track aligns the mid-level centers to dry-slot us longer, but then also allows the CCB to mature as well. The NAM finally briefly closed off at 500mb, which is why it's finally starting to show the CCB portion of the storm looking great. 

Most of us eventually dry slot on the RGEM for a few hours.

I_nw_r1_EST_2014021212_036.png

Verbatim the CCB track looks best for NYC and points just west this run, but tons of time to iron that out. It's starting to look fairly likely this feature is real and might nail quite a few people. I'm hesitant to think more than 2-4" from something like that but if it reaches its full potential, watch out.

Verbatim the CCB track looks best for NYC and points just west this run, but tons of time to iron that out. It's starting to look fairly likely this feature is real and might nail quite a few people. I'm hesitant to think more than 2-4" from something like that but if it reaches its full potential, watch out.

The CCB is trending stronger on most of the models.

The computer models which i really don't understand that well doesn't measure arctic entrenched air to well just my obs over the years.The anomaly  is a pain in the arse for most experienced forecasters so just be ready for a snowgasm and someone is going to have a silly amount of snow somewhere.There ya go lets rock n roll.

The model trends have been great, IMO. The 500mb low is slowly trending more organized, so we all get a great front-end thump -- perhaps a 6-9 hour period of 1-3"/hr snowfall rates at times. Then we dry-slot -- the more west and stronger 500mb track aligns the mid-level centers to dry-slot us longer, but then also allows the CCB to mature as well. The NAM finally briefly closed off at 500mb, which is why it's finally starting to show the CCB portion of the storm looking great. 

I have a question that isn't strictly related to the 12z model cycle, but I hope it'll be allowed anyway. Briefly, why does closing off the 500 mb low lead to a more substantial ccb? Is it simply because a closed isohypse is indicative of a stronger low, or does the pinching off have tangible meteorological implications? I have some vague ideas but I don't want to put words in the mouths of experts, so I'll just leave the question at that. Thanks in advance.

They are having big issues down by ATL now with the convection robbing moisture in north Georgia this could have impacts on storm track next 18-24 hours

Even the Euro missed that Alabama dry slot with the SW Georgia/FL Panhandle convection verifying stronger.

Archived