joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2.12.14 Let's do discussion Here

sferic

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS keeps the front end thump going longer than the NAM.

gfsNE_850_temp_030.gif

namNE_850_temp_030.gif

After seeing VV charts this morning i have to think coupled with steeper mid level lapse rates we'd see widespread thundersnow early tommorow morning during the front end. Looks roughly like atleast 10" for front part of the storm metro area east chris

My gut is telling me mostly snow. Not much rain here in essex county atleast. Maybe some sleet. E LI and south jersey shore might see rain

I'm here in Essex as well and I definitely don't think mostly snow...but a nice front end dump turned to hours of taint....and the CCB is the big question. We will probably catch the southeastern fringes of it for at least 2". Well NW of here probably 10-12" followed by taint mix to CCB additional 6-10". Will be nice

After seeing VV charts this morning i have to think coupled with steeper mid level lapse rates we'd see widespread thundersnow early tommorow morning during the front end. Looks roughly like atleast 10" for front part of the storm metro area east chris

Yeah, the morning looks great. I think the problem at night for Long Island with the CCB is the heaviest

precip stays west of us this run of GFS so the warm pocket centered near 900 mb hangs tough. Maybe we can

get a little shift our way next few runs to do a bit  better.

Gfs still has the thermals a bit too warm with the CCB, I suspect it would end up a bit colder.

The way it was explained in the NE thread, warm air works back around and actually keeps the column warmer as a result, so a lot of it may be sleet due to that warm layer. I'm sure at that intensity snow can make it but it also may not all be snow.

Looks like a reverse of the March 2001 storm... this storm may just over perform. If it's going to storm, might as well storm pretty heavily!

IMO this stormed has shown this potential for quite a few days now it was always ironing out the details i remember telling my wife 3 days ago anything less than a foot would be dissapointing..I stil feel that way.

I know this is off topic from the models but you can just tell a storm is coming in, the sun is out here in brooklyn n.y but you can see it fading to the higher clouds starting to roll in looks cool

the first time I ever noticed that was on February 15th 1958 before the blizzard of 58 hit the area...that was the first storm I remember from beginning to end...

for the people being sad pandas that it's going to go over to rain.  

you can't concentrate on the blue line with such dynamics coming in.   It'll probably be a heavy snow @ 33 event for most of the area...brief period of rain during the dry slot...and then back to heavy snow. 

I also agree with the thundersnow, seems like a certainty.  

Yeah, the morning looks great. I think the problem at night for Long Island with the CCB is the heaviest

precip stays west of us this run of GFS so the warm pocket centered near 900 mb hangs tough. Maybe we can

get a little shift our way next few runs to do a bit better.

900.gif

Wouldnt be surprised if the best snow rates/dynamics were to our west instead. Always seems whenever were progged to get the worst it shifts west to NYC area and lower HV

The way it was explained in the NE thread, warm air works back around and actually keeps the column warmer as a result, so a lot of it may be sleet due to that warm layer. I'm sure at that intensity snow can make it but it also may not all be snow.

850s are still +1 at 06z friday around the city and coast on the gfs during the heaviest part of the ccb

You guys really want to be in NW NJ and near POU and points north for this I think, CCB that is. It could sneak into EWR and NYC has an inch or two..but if NYC were to get this...you need an eastward adjustment.

I agree completely.. Anywhere from FWN to POU is where you wanna be for this event. No dry slot & no taint not to mention CCB ownage.  Widespread 15-20"

850s are still +1 at 06z friday around the city and coast on the gfs during the heaviest part of the ccb

Didnt somebody say recently since GFS is not hi res will not pick up thermal profiles and dynamic cooling as well. It is just crazy though with temps that have been well below freezing and a nor'easter which usually brings its own cool air that temps are so borderline. I guess no strong high to the north really makes a difference.

You guys really want to be in NW NJ and near POU and points north for this I think, CCB that is. It could sneak into EWR and NYC has an inch or two..but if NYC were to get this...you need an eastward adjustment.

Like i said earlier in this thread regardless of the current track these CCB's love NJ/NYC area, HV and SWCT. As they pivot east across LI they lose lots of their punch, areas where it hits hard may see an extra 9-12" and as it gets to the coast it ends up being a few inches at best as the best dynamics and lift are lost. This is from my past experiences with deform bands that start in the NYC area and move east

They would verify colder , The column would collapse , there`s so much upward motion the cold would come right down .

I disagree If anything the CCB IMO  its  from Philly - NY  NWNJ and Long Island  and pulls NE  not N . 

Check the VV AT 42 

Didnt somebody say recently since GFS is not hi res will not pick up thermal profiles and dynamic cooling as well. It is just crazy though with temps that have been well below freezing and a nor'easter which usually brings its own cool air that temps are so borderline. I guess no strong high to the north really makes a difference.

Yeah I'm not saying its right

From the look of all of the model suite anyone north of TTN or so, from LI to W NJ has an equal chance. Of course N of there your good.

You are gonna have to be north of a line from TTN-TEB-HPN to have the potential to really cash in. Everyone SE of that line will taint its pretty much a lock and advertised on every single model now.

They would verify colder , The column would collapse , there`s so much upward motion the cold would come right down .

I disagree If anything the CCB IMO its from Philly - NY NWNJ and Long Island and pulls NE not N .

Check the VV AT 42

Read my above post paul as to my concern for the possible CCB as it reaches LI

Like i said earlier in this thread regardless of the current track these CCB's love NJ/NYC area, HV and SWCT. As they pivot east across LI they lose lots of their punch, areas where it hits hard may see an extra 9-12" and as it gets to the coast it ends up being a few inches at best as the best dynamics and lift are lost. This is from my past experiences with deform bands that start in the NYC area and move east

That's bad meteorology, it absolutely matters about the track.

Archived