• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2.12.14 Let's do discussion Here

sferic

What I find most fascinating on the OKX map is that it almost implies an urban heat island effect on Manhattan, as Manhattan is 6-8" while areas to the S, SE, N and, of course, west, are 8-10".  Can't imagine any other reason for Manhattan to be less than Brooklyn or Staten Island. 

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's definitely a strong TROWAL signature to our front-end dump...could easily overperform in many areas.

Hoping where i am i can get a nice 8-12" dump before the front thump ends Dsnow. I dont like to rely on wrap around moisture to up the totals a good bit after a lull in the action. Also looking forward to the possibility of thundersnow as well but think that will be west of me with the best dynamics

What I find most fascinating on the OKX map is that it almost implies an urban heat island effect on Manhattan, as Manhattan is 6-8" while areas to the S, SE, N and, of course, west, are 8-10".  Can't imagine any other reason for Manhattan to be less than Brooklyn or Staten Island. 

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Perhaps.  Though what I also found interesting is that there are no 8-10 purples north thru the Bronx and SE westchester.  I think it may be an error that will be corrected in future updates.  Just doesnt make sense to me.

Just trying to learn here. What is Trowal? Thanks in advance!

Here is a good read on them. 

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/290

I think this is what may ultimately push much of Long Island over 6" with the front-end dump. 

Looping through this radar loop from the SPC WRF shows it pretty well from hours 24 through 28 or so.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/spcprod/12/nmmwrf.refc_animate_1h.html

Here is a good read on them. 

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/290

I think this is what may ultimately push much of Long Island over 6" with the front-end dump. 

Looping through this radar loop from the SPC WRF shows it pretty well from hours 24 through 28 or so.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/spcprod/12/nmmwrf.refc_animate_1h.html

Man that CCB looks like last FEB , lotta people picked up 8 to 10 when came through 

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

not all snow totals in manhattan are the same i live not to far from the northern end of central park and that seems to be a jackpot area compared to lower manhattan..

Man that CCB looks like last FEB , lotta people picked up 8 to 10 when came through

Lets hope she can hold together as she passes through NYC and onto LI and not weaken substantially. Having that low stay closed off as it scoots south of our area will be key to have it maintain its strength as it pivots ENE

This shows the TROWAL pretty well. Look at how the 296dam 700mb height contour is bending back to the southwest, and then look at the enhanced lift underneath it. That could help to blitz eastern sections with 2-3"/hr rates at times, with the front-end thump. 

I don't necessarily see the duration of the front-end dump overperforming, but I think the intensity of it will.

nam_namer_024_700_rh_ht.gif

By Hour 30 on the GGEM 850s are in Monmouth County and 1.2 - 1.4 inches of liquid has fallen

Jeez looks like my call of 10-12" just from the front end isnt too far fetched. With the awesome lift, dynamics/VV's an extended period of 2-3" snowfall rates would be likely for all the metro area including LI. Thundersnow must be likely as well

Jeez looks like my call of 10-12" just from the front end isnt too far fetched. With the awesome lift, dynamics/VV's an extended period of 2-3" snowfall rates would be likely for all the metro area including LI. Thundersnow must be likely as well

Wait for Euro 

Archived