• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm, Part II

stormtracker

Not really two 0z ago it was pretty awful. 12z yday it was perfect. Last two runs a bit west of that. Small spew range tho.

Gotcha. And of course it wouldn't have been identical run after run--- just that generally it's shown a pretty small window of the low track. I remember now the 0Z run you're talking about, the delmarva run. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is wrong still IMO as depicted at the sfc. I mean.. I hope. I don't want it to be like that but I'd rather it look like that than the Euro for MBY at this pt.  Yes, I think they are the general bounds of the expected at this time and the Euro is probably more right than the GFS. 

I'm certainly more in the Euro camp than GFS but I think Ohleary makes a good point.  The important shortwave still hasn't made it into the U.S.  Until it does we're relying heavily of Satellite data.  Good data but not as good as raobs as the latter have better vertical resolution.  Until that shortwave gets inland and we know what is directly upstream, all model forecasts are suspect.

I'm certainly more in the Euro camp than GFS but I think Ohleary makes a good point.  The important shortwave still hasn't made it into the U.S.  Until it does we're relying heavily of Satellite data.  Good data but not as good as raobs as the latter have better vertical resolution.  Until that shortwave gets inland and we know what is directly upstream, all model forecasts are suspect.

Thanks Wes.  Will the models have better data for the 0z runs?

So does the shortwave essentially act like a wall keeping the low from moving westward as the nor'easter low spins up? Kind of like how a front repels cyclones from the eastern seaboard?

I'm certainly more in the Euro camp than GFS but I think Ohleary makes a good point. The important shortwave still hasn't made it into the U.S. Until it does we're relying heavily of Satellite data. Good data but not as good as raobs as the latter have better vertical resolution. Until that shortwave gets inland and we know what is directly upstream, all model forecasts are suspect.

True. Tho so much of the data is satellite derived I'm not ever sure how much difference the obs make. Better than none of course. GFS has consistently had a meh sfc for the other levels.. Haven't looked close at 18z.

I'm kinda in weenie mode, so maybe irrational. The euro would be fine as is if that's what I get.. But I'll hope it shifts east and I think there is some reason for hope there.

Well this might be a first...lwx goes with a max potential of 20" around dc. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/winter/images/SnowAmt90Prcntl.png

I know I'm from the CPA forum, but help me understand this map. It shows accumulations, but then at the bottom lists 90th percentile. I've never seen a map like that out of State College or Mount Holly. I'm not sure what's meant by 90th Percentile.

I know I'm from the CPA forum, but help me understand this map. It shows accumulations, but then at the bottom lists 90th percentile. I've never seen a map like that out of State College or Mount Holly. I'm not sure what's meant by 90th Percentile.

That is an experimental product from Sterling.  They are part of an experimental test bed to explore the best methods on communicating the highest/lowest snowfall probabilities to emergency management officials.  I'm part of the feedback group.  PM me if you want more info.  

Is there any chance we see the potential for the "B" word to be used for this one...?

The pressure gradient is a bit underwhelming with the high schooling away but looked like some potential for good wind as it passes. Hard to go there...

90th percentile is the max potential. It means 90% chance it won't happen and 10% it will (did I get that right?). Pretty impressive showing 20" this far out...

90th percentile is the max potential. It means 90% chance it won't happen and 10% it will (did I get that right?). Pretty impressive showing 20" this far out...

Kind of, but not quite.  Perhaps it's parsing words, but the 90th percentile means there's a 90% chance of the amount being  *less* than that value.  It's an attempt to estimate an upper bound of what you can expect with the current forecast guidance.  So I wouldn't quite word it as a 90% chance of it not happening.

And yes, 20" as an upper bound is, well, impressive!

There's only 2 members less than 1"+ on the latest EPS. Mean went up to nearly 1.6". This is a pretty big argument against the GFS/GEFS drier solutions. The mean basically paints all of central and NOVA in 1.6 and all of MD except far west in 1.4 - 1.5

Interesting.  So still sort of two model camps in terms of QPF amount at least.  That's remarkably high for the EPS ensemble mean.

Archived