• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Recon is sampling the storm in the Gulf later this evening and again off the NC Coast tomorrow..

0NOUS42 KNHC 101620REPRPDWEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTSCARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.1120 AM EST MON 10 FEBRUARY 2014SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)         VALID 11/1100Z TO 12/1100Z FEBRUARY 2014         WSPOD NUMBER.....13-073I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS    1. FLIGHT 0NE -- TEAL 71--       A. A66/ DROP 9(28.2N 93.8W)/ 12/0000Z       B. AFXXX 05WSA TRACK66       C. 11/2000Z       D. 10 DROPS ON TRACK AS PUBLISHED       E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 12/0200Z    2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY:       A. A62/ DROP 7(34.0N 72.3W)/ 13/0000Z

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah RGEM is warm... looks like sleet through most of the event for CLT to GSO, but it's been on the warm side for a few runs now.

It's on the extreme western side of guidance right now, need more to jump on board before I'd worry about you guys mixing.

From HM in the MA forum:

Basically, we have a maturing cyclone along the Mid Atlantic coast that will occlude somewhere off the Northeast coastline. The way this thing gets captured and the way the surface-500mb tilted structure becomes vertical will never be ironed out correctly today. Low static stability/bombogenesis with a capture can send a low quickly west for a while; the rgem solution is not crazy.

I know anything is possible but no way the low tracks INTO the CAD. 

I agree and the WPC put their thinking out there its almost like they cant believe the Euro is still coming out with the solution it is since the overall setup wouldn't seem to support it, in fact they almost seem to imply it will be more east of any of the current thinking most likely. This sounds like they suggest a later phase and or no phase at all till its well east of where the Euro currently bombs the low, at this point though WOW is right its time to see what is actually happening real time and see what matches up the best to the models

THE ECMWF HAS STRONG

SUPPORT FROM THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN AND THE 00Z UKMET RUN

OCCASIONALLY PHASED WITH THE ECMWF...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE MID

ATLANTIC COAST. STILL...IT IS DIFFICULT TO MOVE OUR PREFERENCE

ENTIRELY TOWARD THE ECMWF...DESPITE ITS RELATIVE CONSISTENCY...AS

THERE IS NO PHYSICAL REASON TO EXPECT THAT THE SURFACE CYCLONE

WILL DEFINITELY SPIN UP AS EARLY AND AS SYMMETRICALLY AS IT DOES

IN THE ECMWF SOLUTION. MANY OTHER SOLUTIONS SUCH AS THE

NAM/SREF/GFS/UKMET HAVE INDICATED A MORE ELONGATED LOW EARLY IN

THE PROCESS...STRETCHED OUT ALONG THE PRE-EXISTING FRONTAL ZONE IN

THE SOUTHERN STATES.

ONE WAY TO RESOLVE THESE DIFFERENCES IS TO TAKE THE CHARACTER AND

INTENSITY OF THE ECMWF SOLUTION AND SHIFT IT JUST SLIGHTLY SOUTH

AND EAST TOWARD MORE OF A CONSENSUS TRACK.

Here's some text from the new Ice Storm warning issued by FFC moments ago.....some pretty serious wording used here, reminds me of a winter version of April 27, 2011.  This is for the ice storm warning that covers the southern metro Atlanta counties down toward the Macon area.  Falling ice off overpasses? Crazy!

* IMPACTS...THESE HIGH ICE ACCUMULATION AMOUNTS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
IMPOSSIBLE. THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A CATASTROPHIC EVENT.
WIDESPREAD AND EXTENDED POWER OUTAGES ARE LIKELY AS ICE
ACCUMULATES ON TREES AND POWERLINES AND BRINGS THEM DOWN. PLEASE
PREPARE TO BE WITHOUT POWER IN SOME LOCATIONS FOR DAYS AND
PERHAPS AS LONG AS A WEEK. ONCE THE ICE BEGINS TO MELT ON
THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...FALLING ICE FROM BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES
WILL CREATE AN ADDITIONAL HAZARD.

I didn't see this posted.

canadian was a little further north with it's axis of heaviest precip. That's a lot of sleet.

PR_000-120_0000.gif

PE_000-120_0000.gif

Lookout,

Lol, I just saw this 12Z CMC sleet accum. map about five minutes ago and was going to post about it on my own until I saw your post. This is probably the Crazy Uncle overdoing it, but I'll analyze it because it isn't extremely far off from other models at ATL. That run would easily amount to an alltime record heavy sleetstorm for ATL-AHN. I mean that would be an absolutely insane amount of sleet! I like to use the 1" of qpf = ~4" of IP although it varies and there are different opinions. If I average out 2/1979 and 1/1988 for ATL, that's what I get. So, the 12Z CMC even gives Tony way down in the southern ATL burbs ~4-5" of IP from 1-1.25" qpf! It gives much of the ATL area an insane ~6" of IP from ~1.5" qpf!! It gives AHN a doubly insane ~8" of IP!! Can you imagine challenging an alltime record Athens snowfall accumulation record of 8.7" with 8" of sleet?!?!

Also, the CMC puts down ~4" of snow in addition to of the sleet! That would mean an incredible ~10" total S/IP at ATL (near alltime record set in 1893 and 1940) and an astounding 12" at AHN!! By the way, even the Euro gives ~3-4" of snow to the area after about 4" of IP!

Regardless, I'm already predicting a whopping ~3-4" of IP for much of the ATL-AHN area with some snow afterward. With the added late snow seemingly becoming more and more likely due to the deformation band being modeled closeby on more models, I'm now thinking that a total IP/S accumulation of 6-8" isn't out of the realm of possibilities. With temperatures likely falling to the middle 20's or lower, I wonder when people will again be able to get out on the roads. Could we be talking Friday afternoon at the earliest? I think that is possible.

I just don't understand how the short-range models are tracking the low into the wedge. Is there a bias involved there or something. Are they not recognizing the CAD?

RAH's discussion was nice. The Euro's solution shifted 50 miles SE puts the I-85 corridor in the sweet spot (though the mountains will probably have the highest totals).

Oh, and holy **** at the GFS. LOCK IT UP.

Archived