• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Just looked at 18z GFS bufkit for RDU. Looks like first 0.75 inches of QPF or so is all snow per soundings. About 0.25-0.3 that is freezing rain, then last 0.1 is snow.

I will take it.

Allan, what is your krdu bufkit source if you don't mind me asking? rah link is slow updating and still shows 12z but I can access CLT, etc from NWS cae.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I and others have noticed models showing some convection firing up along the boundary in the Gulf.  Thoughts on the potential of this enhancing the low level jet and increasing moisture into the Carolinas sooner than anticipated?  I'm not sure if the models pick up on this or not.

Just looked at 18z GFS bufkit for RDU. Looks like first 0.75 inches of QPF or so is all snow per soundings. About 0.25-0.3 that is freezing rain, then last 0.1 is snow.

I will take it.

For anyone wanting a good lesson on rain and snow lines, thicknesses, problems with using 850 temps as a whole.. this is a great start!

http://www.wxonline.info/topics/thickness_pcp.html

Here you can view the real time winter critical thicknesses

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

Just hover over "Winter Weather" and find the critical thicknesses area.

These maps always leave me scratching my head regarding surface temp freezing line. For the past four hours it has shown the surface freezing line up near Maryland yet I have been at 29 all day in far southern VA.

That's the first time I've seen that little blob in Davidson County show up. It looks like 14-15"? Just wow! When does the deformation band set up and how long could the triad/foothills be under it?  :snowing:

Davidson county always does well. As a Rowan county native It seems the snow/sleet line tends to set up somewhere in Cabarrus county. I live in Concord now and keeping my fingers crossed for all snow. Cant wait to see who ends up in the bullseye! Good luck and be safe!!!

Some eye-candy for Charlotte folks 

Interesting...per bufkit at least 0.4 of that is IP/ZR, I've been using these coolwx maps for a while now I'm scratching my head.They must not use the same p-type nomogram

One thing that is bothering me is that in the zone from Upstate SC to PA the temps and dew points are higher than either the NAM or GFS MOS numbers for 0z- both have dew points in the 24-26 degree range at 00Z, the current dew at KCLT is 30.

Locations that saw precip today had dew points into the 30's. locations that didnt have dew points in the mid 20's. 

jfl1lk.png

Archived