Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting stuff. HRRR centers the band right on me. It showing 6-8 inches(10 inch isolated) in a matter of a few hours. Insane.

I should mention... I do think the 6-8" is overdone. Cut those totals in half and that sounds a lot more reasonable, especially given the marginal thermodynamics where folks are near the 0 degree isotherm. (10:1 ratios seem appropriate) 

This band on the RAP reminds a lot of what we had in January 2011. The only thing that concerns me is that it's 35 here and I don't know how much colder it's gonna be by the time it moves in. Sure it'll be pretty if it snows, but I would really like to see it not melt away right away. Jan 2011 was sick because it stuck on everything right away.

Any hope we cool down below freezing before it moves in? I don't see it. 

Charlotte is right on the edge, but I do think you guys change over to sleet/freezing rain for a significant period of time. The RGEM is in good agreement with the ECMWF and both have CLT going over to sleet/freezing rain from 00z to 12z on Thursday. Probably going to see quite a bit of snow (4-6") before the changeover though.

I'm hoping you and them are wrong  :guitar: . I guess the bigger question is shouldn't the low take a path of least resistance and go around the wedge out along the coast line? What's pulling it inland vs. going just off the coast? Does it even matter for people from CLT to RDU?

The HRRR overall should do a good job with this storm as it usually does with big systems.

i know a fair amount bash the RAP and HRRR but they have been a really good job for this area for the last several years.  RAP looks like its going crazy with some of the amounts.  a lot of georgia is going to get a ton of moisture. will be interesting to see if that trend continues

Bufkit from the 18z gfs has GSO getting 8:1 ratios as an average during the snow.

Can anyone tell us about the EPS ensemble mean track or the members?  I know that it's a little late in the game to be using the ensembles but I wondered if the mean track was east of the op.  Thanks!

Thanks.  8:1 is usually pretty average for us in winter storms.

The EPS mean is pretty much right on top of the operational Euro.  It might be a hair east or west, but it's in about as good of an agreement as you could hope for.  It looks like it might be a hair further east of the op Euro up towards DC, but there's very little difference, even up there.

I'm hoping it's wrong.  If it's too far west by 25 miles, that's all we need.

This band on the RAP reminds a lot of what we had in January 2011. The only thing that concerns me is that it's 35 here and I don't know how much colder it's gonna be by the time it moves in. Sure it'll be pretty if it snows, but I would really like to see it not melt away right away. Jan 2011 was sick because it stuck on everything right away.

Any hope we cool down below freezing before it moves in? I don't see it. 

It's exactly like the band from Jan 2011. That was some very heavy snow.

For Charlotte airport, I would go with 7-10 inches of snow, with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of sleet.  Euro/Euro Ensemble have been remarkably consistent with around 1.3 storm total liquid equivalent.  Warm advection snow on southeast flow at 850mb will be the real deal from late morning to late afternoon, much like morning of Feb 2004 storm.  Radar will look awesome...and you get to see it fall during daylight hours to boot.  Meanwhile, I'm in Detroit this week with my work...I made the trip and decided to not quit my job, lol.

I would go with 10-14 in northern foothills and 12-18 in northern mountains.  Those areas look great.  Big Frosty, get ready

Latest from Blacksburg ...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA
734 PM EST TUE FEB 11 2014

...HEAVY SNOW WEDNESDAY INTO EARLY THURSDAY...

.A LOW PRESSURE CENTER WILL MOVE NORTHEAST AND INTENSIFY ALONG
THE SOUTHEAST COAST WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. COLD AIR ALREADY IN
PLACE...WILL KEEP THIS PRECIPITATION MAINLY AS SNOW...WITH A FEW
HOURS OF SLEET POSSIBLE EAST OF DANVILLE VA LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE...WITH 10
TO 14 INCHES ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. EXPECT LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

ASHE-ALLEGHANY NC-SURRY-STOKES-ROCKINGHAM-CASWELL-WATAUGA-WILKES-
YADKIN-TAZEWELL-SMYTH-BLAND-WYTHE-PULASKI-MONTGOMERY-GRAYSON-
CARROLL-FLOYD-PATRICK-FRANKLIN-HENRY-PITTSYLVANIA-HALIFAX-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WEST JEFFERSON...SPARTA...DOBSON...
DANBURY...EDEN...YANCEYVILLE...BOONE...WILKESBORO...YADKINVILLE...
TAZEWELL...MARION...BLAND...WYTHEVILLE...RADFORD...PULASKI...
BLACKSBURG...INDEPENDENCE...WHITETOP...TROUTDALE...VOLNEY...
GALAX...FLOYD...STUART...ROCKY MOUNT...MARTINSVILLE...DANVILLE...
SOUTH BOSTON
734 PM EST TUE FEB 11 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO
6 PM EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...AREAS OF NORTH CAROLINA...VIRGINIA AND SOUTHEAST
  WEST VIRGINIA ALONG AND SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 460.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW...WITH POSSIBLY A FEW HOURS OF SLEET
  WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOR AREAS EAST OF DANVILLE.

* TIMING...WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL WEST OF THE
  BLUE RIDGE...WITH 10 TO 14 INCHES ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. LOCALLY
  HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE...WITH HEAVY SNOW BANDS POSSIBLY
  PRODUCING SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 INCHES PER HOUR WITH ISOLATED
  THUNDER...WEDNESDAY NIGHT
. IN ADDITION...SNOW MAY CHANGE OVER
  TO SLEET FOR A FEW HOURS WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOR AREAS EAST OF
  DANVILLE.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW CAN LEAD TO SLICK AND HAZARDOUS TRAVEL
  CONDITIONS AS SNOWFALL ACCUMULATES ON ROADWAYS. THE SNOW IS
  EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AND WET...AND MAY WEIGH DOWN ON TREE
  LIMBS AND POWER LINES. SPORADIC POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.

For Charlotte airport, I would go with 7-10 inches of snow, with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of sleet.  Euro/Euro Ensemble have been remarkably consistent with around 1.3 storm total liquid equivalent.  Warm advection snow on southeast flow at 850mb will be the real deal from late morning to late afternoon, much like morning of Feb 2004 storm.  Radar will look awesome...and you get to see it fall during daylight hours to boot.  Meanwhile, I'm in Detroit this week with my work...I made the trip and decided to not quit my job, lol.

I would go with 10-14 in northern foothills and 12-18 in northern mountains.  Those areas look great.  Big Frosty, get ready

Frosty has been sitting on ready for a long time! :snowing:

SREF looks like it's coming in colder for the 85 region at 850's compared to it's last run.  Colder early on but warmer later on. Looks like CLT to RDU has more mixing issues on it. On to the NAM. 

The surface low track looks golden.  Looks like it's a little slower than last run, too.  Also, there's less spread into E NC, which seems to indicate that there's greater agreement among the members for that low track.

m0qh.gif

This may be weenieish, but I'm not too concerned about the literal 850 mb 0C isotherm on a mean.

Archived