joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a productive year and it's late in the season. I'm not that invested in tracking next week yet. I'm pretty sure we have legit threat on our hands but it's too muddy and we're on the front side of a warm spell so I'm not motivated yet. I think I'm losing my edge a little bit. 

If something is seriously on the radar come Friday I'll be all in though. 

I can't wait to maybe see an amazing pattern that probably won't deliver.

Seems like Wes and HM are on board for a good pattern. That's good enough for me. This time of year, I know we are not going to get an air mass conducive to long duration snow packs, so give me a big snow followed by a warm up. I need < 8" for 40".

No doubt. The next transition to spring where it goes from cold to 60 straight days with highs in the 60s and 70s will be the first of my life...so I prefer to enjoy the transition and hope for March snow and then chase the gentle warmth unicorns through the end of May.

Then, I will pretend June - August are not happening...

March 2010?

For the last few years, I have been watching how solar activity affects our weather patterns. But my skills are not comparable to the regulars on this board. I thought maybe a few of you might like to explore the connections. If the models already take this into account, please forgive my ignorance.
Last summer, most times after there were significant emission events we seemed to get large well organized storm systems. There seemed to be a rough correlation to what part of Earth was facing the sun during each event's impact. There is a particularly hot period coming up in the next 8 to 16 hours. With your experience, you might be able to see how the emissions change the patterns tomorrow. I watch the Wing Kp Model 24 hour plots daily. When the Kp exceeds 5 for a significant time, it seems to correlate to stronger storms. Here are a few links:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/wingkp/24_hour.html
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/alerts_timeline.html
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/forecast.html

post-10086-0-88747600-1392777444_thumb.g

post-10086-0-09928200-1392777451_thumb.p

EURO doesn't have the Wednesday bomb, but it shows one of the most incredible setups at Day 10...Obviously all that matters is that we do get the cold air first....

I have to admit, I agree with you on this one. Just a shame it's day 10.

EDIT: OTOH, post Day 10 the Control run takes it to our west.....lol

Wow, ensembles flipped cold through the end of their runs last night. Some 20 below normal stuff in d9-10 range.

Next week's chances still not looking impressive overall. Pretty sure we get some snow but not a big dog from what I'm seeing. Still a ways out. Looks like the northern stream energy coming out of Canada will give us something. I'm sure there is phase potential but we won't know much for another 3 days or so.

Beyond that looks pretty good for additional chances. Ensemble mean shows 1" liquid d11-15 with below normal temps. March is shaping up to come in like a lion it appears.

Wow, ensembles flipped cold through the end of their runs last night. Some 20 below normal stuff in d9-10 range.

Next week's chances still not looking impressive overall. Pretty sure we get some snow but not a big dog from what I'm seeing. Still a ways out. Looks like the northern stream energy coming out of Canada will give us something. I'm sure there is phase potential but we won't know much for another 3 days or so.

Beyond that looks pretty good for additional chances. Ensemble mean shows 1" liquid d11-15 with below normal temps. March is shaping up to come in like a lion it appears.

Fine by me.  Big dogs are too much work.  2-4-6 are perfect.  Can you deliver one of those with temps about 20 below normal?  Thanks in advance.

Today feels pretty close to how I think this "epic pattern" will play out for us.

The last 3 times people have identified a good-looking pattern we scored 2 widespread warning criteria snowfalls and then a KU, respectively.  So I'm not quite sure why we're still being sarcastic about "another great pattern" comments.  

The last 3 times people have identified a good-looking pattern we scored 2 widespread warning criteria snowfalls and then a KU, respectively. So I'm not quite sure why we're still being sarcastic about "another great pattern" comments.

Exactly. The upcoming pattern next week is "ok" but far from epic. I'm not overly thrilled about the mon-fri period. Fast moving flow in the ns and the southern stream is going to have a tough time hooking up with the pv trying to bounce on our heads. It will prob take longer to "get right" and even then...

The last 3 times people have identified a good-looking pattern we scored 2 widespread warning criteria snowfalls and then a KU, respectively. So I'm not quite sure why we're still being sarcastic about "another great pattern" comments.

That's how it is here. "What have you done for me lately" mentality. Combine that with the "pooh can't wait for spring" birds and the constant reminder of how close we are to the end of winter and it kinda sucks in here. I mean, we only get 90 days out of the year to really enjoy the hobby and people act like the other 75% of the year isn't enough for them.

The last 3 times people have identified a good-looking pattern we scored 2 widespread warning criteria snowfalls and then a KU, respectively.  So I'm not quite sure why we're still being sarcastic about "another great pattern" comments.  

I am not a met, but it seems to me most of the storms we have had this winter have developed after the supposed "big dog" was scheduled to hit and snuck up on us while people looked 10 days away at the "epic pattern" breaking down.

That's how it is here. "What have you done for me lately" mentality. Combine that with the "pooh can't wait for spring" birds and the constant reminder of how close we are to the end of winter and it kinda sucks in here. I mean, we only get 90 days out of the year to really enjoy the hobby and people act like the other 75% of the year isn't enough for them.

When all is said and done we might be tracking winter for 5-6 mo this yr. that's a lengthy period.

Archived