Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 8-10 Light snow event that i spent 10 days tracking

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ninja'd.  About to say the same thing.  18z GEFS look MILES better than 12z.  Pretty good support for the Op. 

GEFS supports the crappy op GFS  run.  Congrats New York City and north.   Kind of expecting, but hoping against the Euro going towards this kind of solution.  If the Euro does shift towards the GFS solution, it may be time to shift focus to the big Valentine's Day threat.  :axe:

MDstorm

lol

:lol:

Moving it north just a tad more... like 50-100 miles would probably give us some nice snow... I wouldn't mind getting that late Sat... at least something

heh...we get a proper storm on Tues-Wed...delayed, not denied...soon we'll have the 2/12 thread

EDIT - 4-5" before we change over to freezing rain and then warm rain...lol

6z gfs also keeps the southern wave away and makes the northern stream system dominant. No bueno for us. It does keep hope alive for a southern miller a type next week by Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone

I love when the GFS consistently shows a storms exactly 7 days out.. run after run.. like a dog chasing its tail... that one next Thurs looks pretty.. lol

Looks like you guys needed some hope :)

From LWX:

THIS WEEKEND PRESENTS A CHALLENGING FORECAST. A SOUTHERN STREAM

SHORTWAVE WILL BE MOVING FROM WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE CONUS AND

APPROACH THE EAST COAST ON SATURDAY. AT THE SAME TIME...A SHORTWAVE

IN THE NORTHERN STREAM DIVES ACROSS THE CANADIAN BORDER INTO THE

GREAT LAKES. THE MODELS HAVE AT THE MOMENT BACKED OFF ON MORE

AGGRESSIVE PHASING OF THE TWO SYSTEMS AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAVE A LESS

INTENSE COASTAL REFLECTION DUE TO THE FLATTER FLOW...PARTICULARLY IN

THE SOUTHERN STREAM. ONE CONCERN IS THE FLAT FLOW CURRENTLY

DISPLAYED IN A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF THE LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE...AS

MODELS TEND TO UNDER-DO THE STRENGTH OF SUBTROPICAL RIDGING OFF THE

EAST COAST OF THE US. THIS WOULD CAUSE A MORE AMPLIFIED SOUTHERN

STREAM WAVE AND LIKELY MORE PHASING...AND A NUMBER OF ENSEMBLE

MEMBERS OF THE GEFS STILL INDICATE THIS POTENTIAL WITH STRONG

CYCLOGENESIS ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD. IT APPEARS THE HIGHEST

PROBABILITY OF PRECIPITATION WILL BE OVERNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT WITH

THE SOMEWHAT FASTER FLOW. KEPT LIKELY POPS IN THE FORECAST AS

CONFIDENCE IS STILL FAIRLY HIGH ON SEEING AT LEAST MEASURABLE

PRECIPITATION FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE AREA.

AFTER THE POTENTIAL WEEKEND SYSTEM...COLD HIGH PRESSURE BRINGS A

RETURN TO BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES AND BLUSTERY CONDITIONS INTO

EARLY NEXT WEEK.

&&

Not much is resolved with the op runs still all over the place. The general idea at this time, looking at the operational and ensemble guidance, is for a rather weak low sliding to the south probably off the NC coast and heading ENE and not up the coast. We have seen these waves quite a few times recently, get stronger, wetter and a bit further north inside of 3 days. Going with the Euro idea, should that occur we could see a moderate event in the MA. Big storm is probably off the table, and that is a good thing imo as anything that amps up in this pattern would likely screw this area. All subject to change of course.

Not much is resolved with the op runs still all over the place. The general idea at this time, looking at the operational and ensemble guidance, is for a rather weak low sliding to the south probably off the NC coast and heading ENE and not up the coast. We have seen these waves quite a few times recently, get stronger, wetter and a bit further north inside of 3 days. Going with the Euro idea, should that occur we could see a moderate event in the MA. Big storm is probably off the table, and that is a good thing imo as anything that amps up in this pattern would likely screw this area. All subject to change of course.

This is a very good quick paragraph that I am forwarding to friends.  Never before have I had so many people asking me about this "epic" weekend storm.  They've been mentioning it for days now acting like 30" is fact.  I don't understand how non-weather enthusiasts caught onto this thing, given we occasionally see epic storms on the 10-15 day outlook, and obviously rarely see them come to fruition.  Though, you ask the general public right now and they're all expecting a blizzard this weekend. 

latest SREF's 12 hr precip at 87 hrs (yes, end of run, but that's when the storm is coming!)

we know if it was over us at this range, it would shift north

let's see if we get lucky (but not too lucky to end up north of us!)

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F09%2Fsref_namer_087_precip_p12.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=precip_p12&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=

EDIT: same time, 0z Sunday, Euro has a 1008 slp due east of HAT by 100-150 miles while SREFs put it further south off Myrtle Beach by about the same distance and mean is 1016

latest SREF's 12 hr precip at 87 hrs (yes, end of run, but that's when the storm is coming!)

we know if it was over us at this range, it would shift north

let's see if we get lucky (but not too lucky to end up north of us!)

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F09%2Fsref_namer_087_precip_p12.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=precip_p12&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=

Mitch, if its south of us, it stays south. If its on us, it moves north. You know the drill.

This is a very good quick paragraph that I am forwarding to friends.  Never before have I had so many people asking me about this "epic" weekend storm.  They've been mentioning it for days now acting like 30" is fact.  I don't understand how non-weather enthusiasts caught onto this thing, given we occasionally see epic storms on the 10-15 day outlook, and obviously rarely see them come to fruition.  Though, you ask the general public right now and they're all expecting a blizzard this weekend. 

I agree with this - not sure how, but tons of people know in my office that I follow the weather (by which I mean lurk here, read CWG, and learn what I can) and they're all expecting a foot of snow on Saturday night or Sunday.  I keep telling them it's far from certain we'll get anything, but several have said they saw it on TV, etc.

Archived