amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The New February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$540.  And that is with me not taking the house temp above 68 ever. Perils of an old Baltimore home with very little insulation...

Eek!  Our last bill was ~$335.  That's by far the highest we've had since we've gotten a new heat pump, new windows and new sliding back doors.  December was ~$150.  

Eek!  Our last bill was ~$335.  That's by far the highest we've had since we've gotten a new heat pump, new windows and new sliding back doors.  December was ~$150.  

Yeah, hopefully our Feb bill wont be as high since it will have the new heat pump and furnace included during the billing cycle. fingers crossed.

$540.  And that is with me not taking the house temp above 68 ever. Perils of an old Baltimore home with very little insulation...

You win.  I had our furnace/air conditioner replaced a few years ago and then did the windows last year.  Between those two I hope to never ever see a bill over $200 in either winter or summer.

You win.  I had our furnace/air conditioner replaced a few years ago and then did the windows last year.  Between those two I hope to never ever see a bill over $200 in either winter or summer.

That logic worked for us until this past month.  After the new heat pump and windows, all our bills were <$200.  A few were <$100.    

We have gas heat, but your situation sounds similar to ours, though we have an old-ass HVAC unit.  We do have fairly new windows and an energy-efficient double door leading onto our deck.  If we go above $200, it's unusual; above $250 is almost unheard of.

We have gas heat, but your situation sounds similar to ours, though we have an old-ass HVAC unit.  We do have fairly new windows and an energy-efficient double door leading onto our deck.  If we go above $200, it's unusual; above $250 is almost unheard of.

We go $250 in the coldest and hottest months (gas/electricity respectively).  Had an energy audit with the blower test a few weeks ago.  I thought the main problem was that there is no insulation in the walls (1965 build, you'd think they would have known better by then), but evidently too much air is leaking down from the attic.  You could see it really well with the FLIR camera. 

We go $250 in the coldest and hottest months (gas/electricity respectively).  Had an energy audit with the blower test a few weeks ago.  I thought the main problem was that there is no insulation in the walls (1965 build, you'd think they would have known better by then), but evidently too much air is leaking down from the attic.  You could see it really well with the FLIR camera. 

I'd imagine that images from a FLIR camera would be a huge shock to a lot of people!

We definitely have cold air bleeding from the attic in our walk-in closet (which is where the attic access is).  Otherwise, we have issues with cold coming in through the (gas) fireplace.  And since we can't use the fireplace right now, we can't offset the cold air sinking in.  Not a huge deal though, since we're pretty energy efficient elsewhere.

Our house was built in 1972 - luckily it's still in decent shape!

Archived