• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The New February Banter Thread

H2O

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I enjoy weather all year round.  Most people who like severe weather go in with extraordinarily low expectations around here... plus most of them at least care about the science part more than the "omg it's so pretty part".

And also... pretty sure I've mostly nailed every forecast this winter.  But I don't get counted in the "best of winter folks" because I am not overly enthusiastic about everything. Which pretty much makes my point.. so, thanks.

Ian, please don't think that was directed at you, because it wasn't at all. I've been on the boards since the beginning of the WWBB days, so I know you aren't just a severe guy and that you enjoy weather year round. As Bob said, you are probably the go-to severe guy in the MA forum. My post was more directed at the "extreme" ends of both sets of weenies (winter vs. severe).

And I think myself and most people who do know what they are talking about would count you among the best winter folks, along with Bob, Matt, etc. I am not sure enthusiasm has anything to do with it to those who are knowledgeable. Wes is hardly enthusiastic all of the time, but literally anyone with a brain knows that he knows his sh**.

I get where you are coming from with the DT's of the world, but look at the people that post on his page...do they look like the people that post here? As Bob said, I think we've done a reasonably good job of keeping expectations in check and not being overly enthusiastic. Hell, a week or two before the last event, many were getting ready to jump off the ledge, lol. 

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, and hopefully that clarifies things. Don't want to piss anyone off. ;)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record Ian, I thought his comment was playful, for what it's worth. I do agree others give you way too much ****, especially those who are not around enough to play at that level with you.

Well if that's the case then I am sorry to Bob. I've just seen that as a response to me so often I'm not sure how else to take it at this point. People in winter like me much better when there is snow coming. Otherwise I get flak usually for being right about concerns etc. It gets old and it's part of me wanting winter to end.

yeah.. it's just how i get treated all the time here when I'm not in 'snow mode'

Fair enough. I really didn't mean anything by it but looking back I regret the post. My circle of friends constantly poke fun at each other all the time. We joke, prod, and annoy as a way of expressing friendship. I've known you for a good bit in the digital world so some of my personality bleeds through. I'll back it down. 

We're most likely done in 3 weeks or so. I'll be packing my big head up and going home soon. :)

I guess you don't realize how well you are respected on the forum. You wear a lot of hats and all of them well. Including forecaster, whether it's snow or not.

kind of hard to feel respected when he is called bitter and grumpy on a weekly basis....

Sooo…anyone got a good recommendation for some hot peppers that will grow well in containers on my deck that get full sun?  

I'm an addict. Best place to order in the US:

https://www.chileplants.com/

They ship ready to pot plants and time the delivery to your climo window. 

I grow both in ground and in pots. Thin skinned like thai/cayenne type pods grow the best above ground. Don't know the science but my experience with thicker skinned above ground (like jalapeno's) don't produce well. Maybe too hot and I didn't water enough. But production was low and pods were stunted. 

The clustering upright thai type pods do really well in pots. They're pretty hot so it depends on your tolerance.

https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?Search=True&SearchButton=&SearchMode=simple&SpeciesCode=&Letter=&Keyword=&CategoryID=1&HeatID=5&TypeID=62&UseID=&SizeID=&FleshID=&FoliageID=&OrientationID=&HeightID=&SeasonID=&DeterminancyID=&Heirloom=&Location=&Color=&Page=1&LengthID=&WidthID=&StockStatusID=&NewProduct=&ImageHeader=

https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?Search=True&SearchButton=&SearchMode=simple&SpeciesCode=&Letter=&Keyword=&CategoryID=1&HeatID=4&TypeID=62&UseID=&SizeID=&FleshID=&FoliageID=&OrientationID=&HeightID=&SeasonID=&DeterminancyID=&Heirloom=&Location=&Color=&Page=1&LengthID=&WidthID=&StockStatusID=&NewProduct=&ImageHeader=

I used to grow habaneros and exotic kill your insides peppers but the novelty wore off. I stick with jalapenos, serranos, various thai type pods, and my all time favorite dry and grind pepper, tabasco type pods. I've been drying and grinding various tabasco type pods for years. I sprinkle it on everything except ice cream. 

Fair enough. I really didn't mean anything by it but looking back I regret the post. My circle of friends constantly poke fun at each other all the time. We joke, prod, and annoy as a way of expressing friendship. I've known you for a good bit in the digital world so some of my personality bleeds through. I'll back it down. 

We're most likely done in 3 weeks or so. I'll be packing my big head up and going home soon. :)

There are a few keywords that I've seen over the years as attacks repeatedly against me and bitter is one of them. 

You are like a demigod here now. So having you 'attack' me isn't that nice. My first comment had really nothing to do with you or anyone else who actually spends the time to learn.  It was more at the large underbelly that shows up during storms etc.  Granted, we all have to start somewhere so some of today's weenie's will be the future Bob Chill's.  But many will just be annoying pains in the side. And this is not to say I want everyone to leave.. the underbelly helps make it fun when there is something going on.  It's part of the system.. but it does get overwhelmed at times. 

I am not here for adoration or anything.. mostly addiction at this point, plus I like to shoot the **** with a number of people including yourself.  I am actually fairly strongly against the forum focusing on any one person heavily as some sort of leader of thought because I don't think that's how it should work.. part of the reason I've always wanted to squash storm names and will usually suggest someone starts threads rather than doing it myself.  It's good to keep everyone involved.

There has been this constant signaling that people like me a lot better when there's a legit storm on the horizon in winter though.. so it's been a rough few years.  I try to think in a rational way above all else.. which might be a mental deficiency for all I know. I love snow, probably as much as anyone here just about... But it's only part of my interest and just because I may be down on it at most instances doesn't mean I should get attacked for being an anti-snow person or something.  I mean, we have Fozz jump in and make his stupid comment about warministas... it's just accepted here for some reason. 

I guess you don't realize how well you are respected on the forum. You wear a lot of hats and all of them well. Including forecaster, whether it's snow or not.

Thanks. I do.. most of the time.  In winter not as much. But.. I am antagonistic and 'troll' from time to time, so it's not like I shouldn't expect some of it. 

Well if that's the case then I am sorry to Bob. I've just seen that as a response to me so often I'm not sure how else to take it at this point. People in winter like me much better when there is snow coming. Otherwise I get flak usually for being right about concerns etc. It gets old and it's part of me wanting winter to end.

Just so you don't feel bad, I think Wes is bitter, too. He always brings in the negative science and stuff. And I've heard that I'm an angry person, so I suppose those of us hoping for some warm weather are bitter, grumpy, angry people!

:lol:

well, Fozz is the worst

Fozz is cool. I said snow weenies suck. I'll stand by that.. though I don't think most of the people who take offense to it are actually snow weenies. If you care at all about how weather works you're likely not purely a snow weenie. 

But in winter if you're not fully aboard you get funny looks.. like winter is usually good here or something.

Just so you don't feel bad, I think Wes is bitter, too. He always brings in the negative science and stuff. And I've heard that I'm an angry person, so I suppose those of us hoping for some warm weather are bitter, grumpy, angry people!

:lol:

I've worked in the policy world in DC for 8 yrs now and I wasn't a ray of sunshine to begin with. I'm pretty much doomed to always root for spring. 

BTW, the buds on the trees behind my place look pretty ripe already. Soaking up the feels like 70 sun angle.

I've worked in the policy world in DC for 8 yrs now and I wasn't a ray of sunshine to begin with. I'm pretty much doomed to always root for spring.

BTW, the buds on the trees behind my place look pretty ripe already. Soaking up the feels like 70 sun angle.

What's funny is that I'm quite easy going in "real life," but I've gotten a rep for being angry here (even if it's only in jest). I don't mind too much - I play along a little with it. I work side-by-side with military, I've learned to puff my chest out when needed, and when to kill someone with kindness. But after many years, I still haven't learned the art of being deferential to those who expect deference because their rank or position deems them so. I'm surprised I still have a job. Maybe it's because I rarely get angry at work. :lol:

The earliest daffodils in my neighborhood were poking up about five weeks ago. As soon as they get some extended sun, things will really start to pop. Can't wait...

What's funny is that I'm quite easy going in "real life," but I've gotten a rep for being angry here (even if it's only in jest). I don't mind too much - I play along a little with it. I work side-by-side with military, I've learned to puff my chest out when needed, and when to kill someone with kindness. But after many years, I still haven't learned the art of being deferential to those who expect deference because their rank or position deems them so. I'm surprised I still have a job. Maybe it's because I rarely get angry at work. :lol:

The earliest daffodils in my neighborhood were poking up about five weeks ago. As soon as they get some extended sun, things will really start to pop. Can't wait...

Same pretty much all around. Though my girlfriend says I've turned more into a troll in real life lately.. so I suppose it is hard to totally separate online personality from offline. Part of me kind of enjoys having people dislike me.. it's a sign of success. ;) 

I have done the Zebra Heirloom tomatoes and will do them again. They added a different taste to my canned tomatoes that I do. I also do Peach tomatoes. 

Thanksgiving Farms on 85 in Frederick grows their own heirloom plants from previous years stock. I am amazed at the variety they have. I have gotten some Amish heirlooms from there that were good. My grape tomatoes I got last year were out of control well into October so plan on getting that variety agawin this year. 

I need to check Thanksgiving Farms out!!!  I planted some Sungold (orange) cherry tomatoes last year that were like eating candy!!

I hope you realize when I do it I am just teasing, if it upsets you just tell me to shut up. For the record you are right like 95% of the time. But in the winter no one want's you to be right. Enjoy the rest of your day and don't let things on a weather board stir you up.

I hope you realize when I do it I am just teasing, if it upsets you just tell me to shut up. For the record you are right like 95% of the time. But in the winter no one want's you to be right. Enjoy the rest of your day and don't let things on a weather board stir you up.

I'm too sensitive probably. Me and Bob are cool, at least as far as I'm concerned. I often fight dirty when I fight... if we were in person I'd throw sand in his eyes. ;) It just gets frustrating to always be seen as a downer etc. I wish I could be more optimistic about snow in general.. I think I have been quite a bit this winter. 

Archived