• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The New February Banter Thread

H2O

Mattieg & WVCLIMO Have you tried green Zebra Heirloom tomatoes? I've had good yeilds with them. Montage Lifters were a bust for me, too. I tried Mr Stripeys last year and they produced Some HUGE tomatoes.

BTW WVCLIMO Greensburg Farms Nursery on Rt 11 in Hagerstown (just a bit north of Halfway Blvd) carries a pretty good selection of heirloom tomatoe plants each year and they are super reasonably priced.

With all the seed catalogs coming in the mail I am getting the itch!!!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mattieg & WVCLIMO Have you tried green Zebra Heirloom tomatoes? I've had good yeilds with them. Montage Lifters were a bust for me, too. I tried Mr Stripeys last year and they produced Some HUGE tomatoes.

BTW WVCLIMO Greensburg Farms Nursery on Rt 11 in Hagerstown (just a bit north of Halfway Blvd) carries a pretty good selection of heirloom tomatoe plants each year and they are super reasonably priced.

I have not tried the Zebras, but I will look for them. Thanks for the tip. We like Greensburg Farms a lot. Will be heading there when we get some decent weather.

Before I can even think of doing any gardening, I probably have a weekend's worth of work cleaning up the property from all the winter's wrath. Tree branches down everywhere, other limbs broken, screens missing from the back porch from high winds, downspouts dislodged, and some siding off of the back of the garage. Even lost a few shingles off of the house roof. Just waiting until the snow pack melts off to get busy.

I thought about giving them a whirl, but haven't yet. This year I'm going with Brandywine, Black Krim, San Marzano, Amish Paste, Jersey Devil, and Rose de Berne. I haven't tried the last two before, so I'm excited to see how they do.

I'm definitely getting the itch now!

I thought about giving them a whirl, but haven't yet. This year I'm going with Brandywine, Black Krim, San Marzano, Amish Paste, Jersey Devil, and Rose de Berne. I haven't tried the last two before, so I'm excited to see how they do.

I'm definitely getting the itch now!

I've done Black Krim before-very tasty!! The Zebras are gorgeous sliced on a plate-plus tasty.  I need to check out the Rose Dr Beren.  Do y'all plant any cherry tomatoes???

I've done Black Krim before-very tasty!! The Zebras are gorgeous sliced on a plate-plus tasty.  I need to check out the Rose Dr Beren.  Do y'all plant any cherry tomatoes???

I don't - at least not on purpose, but I've had volunteer grape tomatoes in my garden the last two years, and I have no idea how they got there! I have to admit...I'm not a raw tomato fan at *all* except for caprese salad, so I tend to grow more of the paste varieties to use for sauce and salsa. My wife likes raw tomatoes, but not enough for it to make sense for me to grow cherries on purpose.

I'm jealous of the people who like tomatoes so much they can eat them like apples. They're great to grow and so good for you, and they look so delicious. But I can't yet get over a bad tomato experience over 30 years ago...

The Rose de Berne are apparently very similar to Eva Purple Ball, if you've ever had them. The EPBs kicked azz in my garden last year, but I couldn't find the plants from a reputable nursery this year, so I went with the Rose de Berne. We'll see what happens!

I've had mixed results with the heirlooms, but Mr. Stripey does very well, as does a variety from Parks (I think) that's called Rainbow.  Both are huge, super sweet, and some of the best tasting sliced tomatoes I've ever had.  The only half-way high maintenance that I've found is that you have to pick them a bit early to keep them from splitting, especially after any rain.  Even if they split, if you get to them before the bugs, they are still delicious.

I was up in Parkton today for my cousin's pre-wedding ceremony (not the one who had a baby, but her younger brother who's getting married next weekend), and I was shocked at the snowpack.... it was nearly twice as deep up there as what's in my backyard, with 18-24" still on the ground.

It's an amazing place and I've got to move there one day.

I was up in Parkton today for my cousin's pre-wedding ceremony (not the one who had a baby, but her younger brother who's getting married next weekend), and I was shocked at the snowpack.... it was nearly twice as deep up there as what's in my backyard, with 18-24" still on the ground.

A lot of that area and north into PA still had 4-6" or so still on the ground prior to the storm. It's a bit of a different world once you climb the hill north of Belfast Rd towards Mt Carmel Rd.

Reisterstown got over 2 ft. up to 27 inches. We got 23.5 here. What I think happened was a lot of places that got hammered had a good deal melt on Friday with sunny skies and temps near 50 plus. Up here we never got out of the upper 30's low 40's range on Friday, so we didn't have nearly as much melting. Reisterstown's 27 looks now like 6-8 inches less than the 23.5 here. The real warm temps on Friday never made it north of the Reisterstown/Cockeysville line.

Take a ride to exit 4 go right on 851 into Stewartstown. Drive around some of the neighborhoods. I live a few miles from there but the pack is insane. We had about an 8 inch pack of snow and ice then 24 inches of snow fell on top of it. It is amazing.

Fozz

Snow pack up here is a solid 30--36 inches.  I would not believe it except that I look at it everyday.  There is much less to the north of here and a little less to the south.  This small region on the border has been pummeled with monstrous amounts of snow this year.  Everything has over performed here in a huge way.  The snow pack on the lawn is like a Jersey wall.   

post-1187-0-99939700-1392600716_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-56100000-1392600771_thumb.jp

I mean I love the snow, but this is pretty crazy up here by any standard.  I can't walk in my yard because I sink to my waist. 

Amazing, looks like a bit more than us here in Seven Valleys/New Salem.  What a winter it's been.  My 3-year old son just expects it to snow all the time.  It has actually taken the wonder out of it for him a little bit (just a little).

1927105_10202412889837684_394893831_n.jp

I am getting a deep DREAD feelin as time goes on. The massive warm air later this week will absolutely melt 100 percent of the snow. By Saturday we will be in the 60s and snow will be a distant memory. This upcoming torch wil be so profound that it will eradicate all of the areal snowpack by Thursday afternoon, even on the north sides of hills. The only folks to see any mercy will be those in the mountains and in places like Westminster where they already have 30 inches of snow on the ground and will probably get by with low 40s all week, then get buried by yet another blockbuster snow.

I was very happy to get 11 inches plus 1 inch from the ULL on Thursday but then Friday we sustained one hell of a CRUEL blow from a 57 degree high temperature and a raging sun that melted a good deal of my precious, hard won snowpack. Then, we got moderate RAIN that night. We live in a very special place, terrible outcomes like this very warm day and then all the rain only happen on the TROPICAL fall line where we live. I mean that was CRUEL with a Capital C. I lost fully 6 inches off my precious snowpack because of the warm incursion barely 24 hours after the snow ended then I got moderate rainfall that night. I can understand us getting 57 degrees with torrential rains a week after the snow, thats climo here on the tropical fall line, but 57 degrees a day after the 11 inches of snow then rain? Fate is just CRUEL and outright SADISTIC.

Sure it will cool off some next week, but just look at the calendar.

Higher sun angle issues

After this warmup, snow gone and mild ground, mild roads

Longer days

Climo - By early March our average high is 51. Gonna take one hell of an arctic blast to keep our temps near freezing. Forget the negative EPO, it's been a champ but the poor thing is absolutely EXHAUSTED, it needs a solid 11 month rest. Guess whats gonna take its place? Can you say early spring and even maybe a taste of summerlike values? With 60 degree dewpoints? Before March 15th?

We are going to be bucking a lot of odds in a week. I got one hell of a strong right leg, and I have punted the HELL out of this winter, and it landed smack in the middle of Sparky's backyard. Ka-Ching! Another 22 inch snow for Sparky - Another 2 inch rainer for DCA. Sparky sees grass again in late June. Heck of a winter up there

We gotta get these roads cleaned up for spring. I already heard the birds a-twitterin and saw a robin bobbin.

Damn I love this snowpack so much, Too damn bad I gotta wait another four years for another 11 incher. Heck I just may have to wait another four years for another five incher. It is getting harder and more difficult to get snow in Washington. Climate change is way out of control

I have done the Zebra Heirloom tomatoes and will do them again. They added a different taste to my canned tomatoes that I do. I also do Peach tomatoes. 

Thanksgiving Farms on 85 in Frederick grows their own heirloom plants from previous years stock. I am amazed at the variety they have. I have gotten some Amish heirlooms from there that were good. My grape tomatoes I got last year were out of control well into October so plan on getting that variety again this year. 

• Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 4. Windy, with a west wind 34 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 20 to 26 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 0. Windy, with a west southwest wind 28 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 4. Windy, with a west southwest wind 31 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 26 to 32 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -1. Windy, with a west southwest wind 38 to 48 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near -1. Windy, with a west wind 37 to 39 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -5. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.
  • Thursday Snow likely. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near -5. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Up to 125" by Thursday....not bad.

Fozz

Snow pack up here is a solid 30--36 inches.  I would not believe it except that I look at it everyday.  There is much less to the north of here and a little less to the south.  This small region on the border has been pummeled with monstrous amounts of snow this year.  Everything has over performed here in a huge way.  The snow pack on the lawn is like a Jersey wall.   

You're not daring that young man to touch his tongue to the metal pole are you?

Archived