northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The New February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a very lonely place without snow weenies. 

Disagree. By now I want to strangle many of them.  It's the only weather where being a total optimist is not only smiled upon but wished for.  It's a sport where you can get penalized for following the rules of the science.

Disagree. By now I want to strangle many of them.  It's the only weather where being a total optimist is not only smiled upon but wished for.  It's a sport where you can get penalized for following the rules of the science.

lol- are you bitter ian today?

I think we've done pretty well this year being reasonable and keeping blind weenieism to a (relative) minimum. 

I don't think we're all that different than severe weenies. Even in marginal severe setups everyone is watching radar and scoping and hoping. 

I think we've done pretty well this year being reasonable and keeping blind weenieism to a (relative) minimum. 

I don't think we're all that different than severe weenies. Even in marginal severe setups everyone is watching radar and scoping and hoping. 

That must be it, Bob.  Sorry.. you are so the man. Dear god.. how could I have said anything about snow weenies. 

All I want at this pt is for winter to end. The unbridled enthusiasm in chasing phantom storms gets old after a while but so many seem to love it nonstop.

Not sure we are chasing "phantom storms." We've had two warning criteria storms in less than a month, including a KU. Obviously not every single threat the models advertise is going to pan out, but we've done quite well this winter for the amount of time we've put in.

Plus, the period after the 24th or 25th definitely is screaming of potential, but there were literally zero posts on the entire 0z suite overnight, so it's not like everyone is jumping on some day 10 threat and weenie ing out over it.

My enthusiasm trails off for winter events this time of year. Do I still like seeing snow fall? Sure, but I'm not going to spend a week or even a day tracking a 2" event. It will take another high caliber event for me to get enthused. Last night I was so thrilled to see a D4 risk on the SPC site last night.

Even in marginal severe setups everyone is watching radar and scoping and hoping.

At the risk of being absolutely slammed by Ian, lol, this post is spot on. The severe weenies staying up until 2am for the new SPC outlook (do you think we'll get a Mod risk??!!!! I hope so!!!) is akin to us staying up for the Euro. The constant radar watching for what inevitably ends up being a severe warned storm with 30mph gusts and moderate rain, etc. severe is good here every 4-5 years when we luck out with a derecho or something, but in most seasons, it sucks.

I can understand Ian's view though since he actually chases. Hopefully we can hone in on a specific winter threat soon so we can get snow mode Ian back. ;)

At the risk of being absolutely slammed by Ian, lol, this post is spot on. The severe weenies staying up until 2am for the new SPC outlook (do you think we'll get a Mod risk??!!!! I hope so!!!) is akin to us staying up for the Euro. The constant radar watching for what inevitably ends up being a severe warned storm with 30mph gusts and moderate rain, etc. severe is good here every 4-5 years when we luck out with a derecho or something, but in most seasons, it sucks.

I can understand Ian's view though since he actually chases. Hopefully we can hone in on a specific winter threat soon so we can get snow mode Ian back. ;)

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I enjoy weather all year round.  Most people who like severe weather go in with extraordinarily low expectations around here... plus most of them at least care about the science part more than the "omg it's so pretty part".

And also... pretty sure I've mostly nailed every forecast this winter.  But I don't get counted in the "best of winter folks" because I am not overly enthusiastic about everything. Which pretty much makes my point.. so, thanks.

Ian, you are picking a weird day for this. Wtf? There is a general 1-2 inch dealie and no one seems overly pumped about it, nor over-selling it. There were no posts overnight, and no one seems to be jumping on anything specific in the 10-day other than a few noting to keep an eye on it.

I don't get where you are coming from on this, frankly. And that's as someone who also loves severe weather season, although I hate deep heat season with a passion.

Ian, you are picking a weird day for this. Wtf? There is a general 1-2 inch dealie and no one seems overly pumped about it, nor over-selling it. There were no posts overnight, and no one seems to be jumping on anything specific in the 10-day other than a few noting to keep an eye on it.

I don't get where you are coming from on this, frankly. And that's as someone who also loves severe weather season, although I hate deep heat season with a passion.

pretty sure ian isn't talking about tonights 1-2" threat. but the LR stuff

And also... pretty sure I've mostly nailed every forecast this winter.  But I don't get counted in the "best of winter folks" because I am not overly enthusiastic about everything. Which pretty much makes my point.. so, thanks.

Well, that may be true to a point Ian.....but someone has to temper the masses

I'll be in 'winter mode' until it is officially over (March-ish?), then 'storm mode' starts

I just made a comment that I wished winter was over. I dunno why that has to be such a big deal.  Bob had to come along like an ***hole and call me bitter which pretty much set off the rest.  Sorry I can't be as cool as Bob in winter where everyone loves me for being an optimist who wastes 40,000 hours looking at d10 all the time.  I'll work on that...

I just made a comment that I wished winter was over. I dunno why that has to be such a big deal.  Bob had to come along like an ***hole and call me bitter which pretty much set off the rest.  Sorry I can't be as cool as Bob in winter where everyone loves me for being an optimist who wastes 40,000 hours looking at d10 all the time.  I'll work on that...

I wouldn't mind winter being over myself. I love spring and some days in the 60s would be awesome sometime soon. That said, I also appreciated the heads up that it might be a bit delayed. In my mind's eye, I was booking a warm-up this week and extending it. Have adjusted my expectations accordingly, based on some of the long range thoughts from you and several on here.

Well, that may be true to a point Ian.....but someone has to temper the masses

I'll be in 'winter mode' until it is officially over (March-ish?), then 'storm mode' starts

Listen.. this is not at all about people talking about winter. I'm not dumb.. I know it's Feb 17.  That said, we've had a good winter and if that was it.. I'd be fine, as I hope any other rational snow lover would be.   Not sure why it's a crime to say it's fine if winter ends.

It's a simple fact that there are a lot less science interested people on the board in winter. Snow is a special weather type that brings people into it just because it is pretty and closes school and stuff. 

The constant comparisons to severe are dumb IMO.. for one reason there are like 10 of us that are really into severe vs 1000. 

I don't count bob as a useless snow weenie.. far from it. Though he's clearly got a giant head this winter. 

Archived