northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler?

Deck Pic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually resolution spreads things out but in this case the differences in resolution introduce the butterfly effect introducing differences in the forecasts that grow with time.  I would guess with such a flat wave the coarser resolution has a much harder time resolving the feature giving it a flatter look. 

Should we expect better results from the 4km NAM then from the higher resolution?

The thing to pay attention to is the vorticity fields and jet placements, as Wes already pointed out. If you get that dual-ageostrophic divergence aloft (right hand rule kiddies) with a consolidated shot of PVA, it will overcome 1 major problem...the cold, dry air advection between 950-800mb.

There is actually a 700mb deformation zone right over DC this run with moistened layers above this dry air throughout the snow growth zone. A more organized s/w would have no problem producing a band on the edge of the QPF. So, because the vorticity shield looks ridiculous, NAM focuses lift down where the 850mb deformation is and moisture, which is S-C VA.

So to sum up...who gives a ... :P

Wait...you mean to tell me it isn't???

I think he's telling you it is. Red tag.

There are really only two chances to fail right now because the midweek storm is a foregone conclusion. First guess: We'll be on the northern edge of decent stuff for Sunday/Monday, and will get a couple inches before rain next weekend. Much farther north and west will do better next weekend.

i have a feeling that we are going to fail on all 3 storms.

In all seriousness...now is NOT the time to panic.    We've got a long way to go.   Monday is still firmly in play.   Wednesday, naso much. But Uni is still there...long, long way to go before that one.   I'm still optimistic.    Hang in there, we will fight our way to the top of the mountain.  

EPS has dca with .4 precip on the means for monday. Only 3 dry members (less than .05) out of the whole bunch. Only one blank.

la la lock it in.  I'm happy to toss everything but the EPS.  Helps when the modeling tool with the best verification is on your side with 72-96 hours to go.  

i have a feeling that we are going to fail on all 3 storms.

we might...random 10-12" DCA winters like 74-75 probably had some big storms on current models (if they existed then), but the pattern didnt support them so they never happened....not sure why people are so excited about a BIG all snow event in a meh pattern

How many big storms have we gotten in this pattern?

test8.gif

Archived