• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler?

Deck Pic

Still to be determined where the lead front ends up and the vort could drift. Everything's already pretty close to ideal on the NAM.  Kinda early in a lot of cases, but this may be a case where we can lock in a few days out.

Ian, it scares me a bit that a lot of the dynamics that result in the storm are from jet streaks.  Mesoscale features and we're hoping they are forecast right at 84hrs.  If the NAM jet streaks were right, I'd expect the precip to expand northward some. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS could be right. The Euro is amp happy and the NAM at 84 is often like the worst snowmap ever.

The GFS runs on that wave have pretty consistently not amplified it. They have been as steadfast in keeping it suppressed as the Euro has been in amplifying it. The NAM gives me pause as to the GFS, I guess, because it had that one run that took it into central PA in addition to a suppressed one and the sweet one hitting us. Nam/Euro a good combo. Would be nice if Euro would hold tonight. 

The GFS runs on that wave have pretty consistently not amplified it. They have been as steadfast in keeping it suppressed as the Euro has been in amplifying it. The NAM gives me pause as to the GFS, I guess, because it had that one run that took it into central PA in addition to a suppressed one and the sweet one hitting us. Nam/Euro a good combo. Would be nice if Euro would hold tonight. 

I dont remember precisely which run, but I think 1 run of the GFS yesterday had a 1-3 inch snow...but yes, its obviously been the most suppressed today...Until the EURO goes in that direction, Im not too concerned..a few inch paste job would be nice on Monday

It has to do with jet streaks.  When there are two jet streaks in such an alignment it produces strong upper level divergence which ends up producing strong upward motion which is what you want to get a good thump of precipitation.   I'll be giving a talk on jet streaks at this years conference.

What are the chances such positioning of the jet streaks remain as modeled? Is there also a good chance they seperate in further runs, will the northern one move on to quick to achieve this?

Archived