• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler?

Deck Pic

Hey Wes, can you explain why this is important? So it doesn't get sheared out? TYIA

It has to do with jet streaks.  When there are two jet streaks in such an alignment it produces strong upper level divergence which ends up producing strong upward motion which is what you want to get a good thump of precipitation.   I'll be giving a talk on jet streaks at this years conference. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup it's dumping .4-.5" QPF on the 3 hr WxBell panels in SW VA. Impressive if accurate. IF.

Hey Wes, can you explain why this is important? So it doesn't get sheared out? TYIA

Wes might be able to explain it better...but in a nutshell, that kind of jet set-up where we're in between the entrance region of one upper level jet (to the north/northeast) and the exit region of another (to our south), there's enhanced lift.  It's a classic signature.

EDIT:  Ooops, I guess I sent mine before seeing that Wes had indeed responded to that question!  But same general idea...sorry to repeat or interrupt there.

It has to do with jet streaks.  When there are two jet streaks in such an alignment it produces strong upper level divergence which ends up producing strong upward motion which is what you want to get a good thump of precipitation.   I'll be giving a talk on jet streaks at this years conference. 

Wow, yeah I was wondering why H5 was fairly weak and yet the sfc so strong, double coupling H3 jets will do it though!

Under is almost assuredly the best bet in any circumstance around here.  Far under, in fact.  But man, if by some odd planet-aligning miracle DCA gets close to 15" in the next 10-15 days, that would be incredible.

No one would say over. Though at this point I think DCA will finish above normal and I wouldn't be surprised if we have some good totals this month.  This is a good winter I think... time to accept it. 

It has to do with jet streaks. When there are two jet streaks in such an alignment it produces strong upper level divergence which ends up producing strong upward motion which is what you want to get a good thump of precipitation. I'll be giving a talk on jet streaks at this years conference.

I was just reading about confluence, divergence, etc ironically enough. Thanks for the info!

ETA: thanks zugswag

Somebody let the cat out of the bag....:whistle:

excellent....didnt know there would be a conference this year....that's exciting

No one would say over. Though at this point I think DCA will finish above normal and I wouldn't be surprised if we have some good totals this month.  This is a good winter I think... time to accept it. 

Yeah, I know you asked the over/under for 15" in the next couple of weeks as a sort of tongue-in-cheek question!  I'm a bit dubious about DCA ending up above normal for this winter, for some reason.  If anything, just because it's DCA.  They're at what, 7.5" so far or something?  We'd need basically over 8" from now on to top the normal of ~15".  Now, looking at things in the next couple of weeks, if it works out right...and if we can manage something later in the season too, then yeah, DCA should finally top their average.  IAD and BWI, on the other hand, clearly are in line to better their seasonal norms.

And its solid snow from both of them to...

Still to be determined where the lead front ends up and the vort could drift. Everything's already pretty close to ideal on the NAM.  Kinda early in a lot of cases, but this may be a case where we can lock in a few days out.

I definitely like that its a southern wave over a ns vort. 

Yeah, but they can also end up warmer in the end quite often.  If you look at MOS now it doesn't give you huge confidence in the sfc although it's impacted by the GFS looking like crap. If we can get it in early and get rates.. we've been down that road before tho hah.  Maybe we're a snowtown again.

Archived