CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 with dew point of what? sensor broken showing -3 ? anyway it is "virgaing" now lol  (if that dewpoint is accurate no wonder jeesh. where are the higher dewpoints on that extremely rare occasion when you want them?)

edited to add:

Any idea what your dewpoint is over there? On this side of the Apps that band moved over my area with 25-30dbz returns and not a flake made it to the surface that I saw. Temp here is 11/dp -2.

ok maybe its not broken. see above - decent echos but not a flake.  it is extremely dry air

Folks,

I have a niece who goes to school in Atlanta and desperately doesn't want to go lol. We're waiting for the dern snow to reach the ground. Do you think it will reach the ground there soon?

a lot schools in ga have already closed, even here in habersham.  sort of surprised a school in atl is open with the warnings out now

Folks,

I have a niece who goes to school in Atlanta and desperately doesn't want to go lol. We're waiting for the dern snow to reach the ground. Do you think it will reach the ground there soon?

Yea I'm wondering how late ng its good nna take to reach here as well...it can't be that much more saturated in Asheville can it?

Its still hanging AAT 31 with virga overhead.

a lot schools in ga have already closed, even here in habersham.  sort of surprised a school in atl is open with the warnings out now

Thanks. I think I'll tell her not to go. But are you confident that it will reach the ground soon there? The returns look good and heavier to the WSW.

Thanks. I think I'll tell her not to go. But are you confident that it will reach the ground soon there? The returns look good and heavier to the WSW.

well never confident on snow in ga lol.  i have to admit though that this one is looking pretty good.  my main thought is the cold air blasted in here and its been below freezing all night (rare before a snowstorm) so as soon as it does reach the ground it will start accumulating pretty much on contact

FFC is saying nothing is going to reach the ground until after noon, FWIW. 

thats the only frustrating part.  its snowing but not reaching the ground ugh.  if and when it does reach the ground i assume that schools that are open will start closing. 

personally this is not the worst day to have a parental (or uncle) executive decision. i just wish the dewpoint was up some ha

ps. dewpoint up to 11 from -3 just since i got up and started posted about an hour or so ago

edited to add:

just checked temp and it is responding to virga and dewpoint and is slowly dropping.  in the 20s now (29.1)

Buncombe County schools had buses on the roads & had to turn them around to drop kids off. Car riders @ schools are having to be picked up. Not a problem with my kids though. I made the call that they wouldn't be going. Safe to err on the side of caution.....tell her not to go!

Oh no, I hope not! Please tell me they're wrong lol. Is it because the winds are from the dry NNW direction? I know that is an unusual direction for ATL to get a sig. snowfall, but the moisture looks pretty impressive.

Temp down to 23. Still slowly dropping.

That band stretching over the mountains means business looks very unsettled over S Va.

Give it another hour and snow should start.

You are correct sir...radar returns here in the mtns are reaching the ground...quite heavy at times in Spruce Pine, NC...slick roads and schools closed...170F

Oh no, I hope not! Please tell me they're wrong lol. Is it because the winds are from the dry NNW direction? I know that is an unusual direction for ATL to get a sig. snowfall, but the moisture looks pretty impressive.

Well, I'm certainly hoping they are wrong too, and the lowest angle on the radar seems to be filling in closer to FFC with every scan.

It's not like she was going to learn anything today anyway, haha.

Archived