joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last place to get the cold air in north ga as usual thanks to the mountain eddie/screw zone. Temps have been slow to drop here all night, only now down to 36. Dp has crashed to 12 but no where near as low as atlanta, gainesville where it's nearing zero

Will be interesting to see what surface temps do tomorrow over north ga.  After the nam and gfs showed temps never getting out of the 20s tomorrow, the Nam/gfs are a bit warmer from atlanta eastward..showing temps into the 33 to 35 range before precip arrives. And the rap model is just absurd..showing temps into the 40s for the east side of atlanta to athens. I highly doubt that with thick cloud cover and precip likely reaching the ground by late morning or noonish but we'll see.

Temp would almost instantly drop to freezing or below when precip starts but I want every flake to stick too, including the first ones lol.  I'm rather annoyed at the one little tongue of warmth that is being showed ONLY in north ga and no where else...even though it's actually typical of the north ga screw zone.

Front popped on though here in ILM right on time, 1AM.... dropping Temps from 52 & a DP of 35 now to 49 DP of 32,

after a high of 67 today

Winds Switching around to the North & NorthWest  

Speed / Dir
15.0 mph from NNW
Wind Gust
25.0 mph
Watching the first radar returns moving @ a good clip towards Me from Charleston & Georgetown...

Just hit 32 here DP in the low teens and dropping should give us a solid 10-12 hrs below freezing before the snow starts here, they call for a high 37 Thur but I can see that being tough to do with a deep snowpack so we might not see temps above freezing here till sometime Friday which for here is a hell of a stretch below 32. Could make a run at subzero Wed night as well....its only been below zero twice here on record.

Archived