joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just walked out of the office located about a mile north of uptown Charlotte and was surprised to see the sun poking through the clouds and patches of blue sky. I don't imagine that will hang around for long and it is bitterly cold out. 27 currently.

Yep, sun peeking out here also. Temp 34. I guess temps will always be an issue for snow events, no matter how cold it's forecast to be! This will be worse case scenario, if we get an inch or two of snow, it will melt for a bit on the roads and then freeze solid if temps wet bulb down into the 20s

Still battling dry air across AL and GA. You can see that very clearly on the KBMX and KFCC radars. The "holes of death" some have spoken of are right over the radar sites where the beams are closest to the ground.

Yup. For the FFC map, I'd say the only parts of that that aren't total virga are just south of the radar site. 

still snowing pretty good 18.6 dp 13, But I don't like the looks of that dry slot opening up over mountains and foothills on radar!

This reminds me of a storm in the late 90's when the forecast for the NW Piedmont was calling for up to 10 inches of snow by evening and we ended up with only a trace. Started with some flurries and light snow in the morning and by noon we had a milky sky with the sun visible throughout the rest of the day. It wasn't until around 2pm that the accumulation forecasts started getting cut and by the 6pm newscast they were explaining how the cold dry air had won out. Based on that experience I would expect the initial round of snow seen in the NW Piedmont and Southern VA now to soon fade away as the cold air continues pushing South and that will be all she wrote. Time will tell.

Archived