joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father in Pike County, GA (30 miles south of ATL) says different.  He's got a light dusting from the finger making it's way south of the city.

Heard similar report on waga around 802am. That band south of ATL is hitting the ground

Any idea of the dew point there? Folks here are worried about the dry air eating up all the snow.

Oh no, I hope not! Please tell me they're wrong lol. Is it because the winds are from the dry NNW direction? I know that is an unusual direction for ATL to get a sig. snowfall, but the moisture looks pretty impressive.

Others have already mentioned the precip reaching the ground south of town. Given the radar returns it's going to start reaching the ground in a lot of places by 9 to 10am.

Temp is 33 but winds are now out of the north east now here at a few mph.

how the heck am I 24 way down here and you are 33 ?

My favorite enemy, the lee side mountain eddie. When there is CAA out of the north or northwest, the athens area and the upper savannah river valley is the last to cool down because the mountains block the low level flow/cold. Sort of like when water is going around a rock and behind the rock the water "just sits there" while it flows all around it. This feature has screwed me big time in the past. One time in particular it stayed 35 and rain here while it was snowing in every direction. That was expected though and don't expect that to happen this time but it just goes to show you how badly it can screw things up here.

edit to add the wind has picked up to around 10mph now out of the northeast. so low level caa has resumed. Also ceilings are starting to drop now with pretty good virga over head.

Archived