• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 21/22 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

Yeah I know Messenger has the Dead Sea Scroll archives of OES, but I don't recall events like this in years. 

1999 had a couple events too...but this is easily the most prolific since '94.

The Jan 2-3 event was unrivaled in at least modern history for its cold during the storm...and although this one was not as cold as the previous one, it was still probably in the lower 10% of temps normally seen in synoptic snowfalls. Just some frigid airmasses accompanying these systems.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figuring 15:1 ratios to get me to 10.5 (.7 qpf)

A phenomenon I noticed was the residence time of flakes in the air from the source region. A lot of people near and just north of BOS under what was supposed to be heavy snow didn't quite get it because flakes got advected south of the source region when looking at radar.These were fluffy flakes with terminal velocity speeds quite low. 

Quasi -related to this event ( ..or non-event depending on one's location...), usually when you see this aloft after a storm exits, you end up with a lag-back curvature in the PP (Norlun or pseudo -Norlun) protracted impact (however much), but we are not getting that this time. It's kind of a back-handed ending to an event that smacked the face of expectation to begin with.. (speaking in the spirit of commiseration, that is)

nam_namer_027_500_vort_ht.gif

1999 had a couple events too...but this is easily the most prolific since '94.

The Jan 2-3 event was unrivaled in at least modern history for its cold during the storm...and although this one was not as cold as the previous one, it was still probably in the lower 10% of temps normally seen in synoptic snowfalls. Just some frigid airmasses accompanying these systems.

The Jan 1999 one disappeared in hours too..lol. That fluff was gone by the next day.

A phenomenon I noticed was the residence time of flakes in the air from the source region. A lot of people near and just north of BOS under what was supposed to be heavy snow didn't quite get it because flakes got advected south of the source region when looking at radar.These were fluffy flakes with terminal velocity speeds quite low. 

Hence why the Logan total was so low. 4 inches?

Miracle on ice in the year of the winter olympics I have passed you YTD for what I am sure is a temporary couple of days. wind blown drifting snow ripping ground blizzards

Nah you'Scooter, Will, GAY, Garth..maybe even Fairfield all beat me this year. Only have 30.7 YTD here. Congrats. It's nice to pass the baton to snow lovers though.

Leon FTW. Last time arctic snowy owls were this abundant in SNE was 1994. I know Messenger did not get the analog because we had thaws but certainly he may understand why we preached the similarities. I hate to beat a dead horse and we especially Jerry took a ribbing for it but even you pointed out several times the similarities. I salute Jerry for seeing this way way ahead of anyone.

Eh, the 1994 comparison has its pluses and minuses. The minus is that when you mention that year, people will automatically think weeks of arctic cold and snow which isn't what we've had thus far. When it does get cold, its been similar though.

Ironically, if things break right, then the Jan 20-Feb 15 period might be more reminiscent than earlier this month was. Because this time there are no torches looming at all.

Eh, the 1994 comparison has its pluses and minuses. The minus is that when you mention that year, people will automatically think weeks of arctic cold and snow which isn't what we've had thus far. When it does get cold, its been similar though.

Ironically, if things break right, then the Jan 20-Feb 15 period might be more reminiscent than earlier this month was. Because this time there are no torches looming at all.

I'm glad folks to the s have had osme good times, but I'm ready for this arctic chill to screw.

30*, and a cf on rt 128.

Thanks.

Yeah so you prob had 10"+ if you are down to 7 now. We prob have around 3ish at Copley...so they had 4-5" before compaction I'm guessing.

Pretty cool. I have to be in bos around 1230 and i will take backroads through brookline, jamaica plain, etc... Hoping to see some difference... Sucks that 12 miles SE had double what I had, but its better than BOS at least.

I observed this yesterday down here when the epic band finally headed up toward the NYC Metro from the south... we broke into the high DBZs but did not see a rise in snowfall rate until we were several miles into the band.

Also noticed it on the backside when we had our heaviest snow while the band sat to our north.

Always something to think about during snowstorms...

18 " South Duxbury...still snowing says wife.  Rt 3 was a nightmare to get in to work.

Owners of our company live in Belmont and were furious we didn't open the office on time.

I live/work real close to belmont, and there was hardly any snow here, just a couple inches

18 " South Duxbury...still snowing says wife.  Rt 3 was a nightmare to get in to work.

Owners of our company live in Belmont and were furious we didn't open the office on time.

Congrats.

I observed this yesterday down here when the epic band finally headed up toward the NYC Metro from the south... we broke into the high DBZs but did not see a rise in snowfall rate until we were several miles into the band.

Also noticed it on the backside when we had our heaviest snow while the band sat to our north.

Always something to think about during snowstorms...

Noticed that as well here... and even watching the METARs as the snow moved in. 

This one seemed to be unusually impressive in that regard. 

I wonder if this something that the models would struggle with? As in maybe they were 20 miles too far northwest with QPF? 

Where I had 5" last night I measured 9" and the bottom 1" was sledge from compaction. That was 45 minutes + of heavy snow

You must have a total storm accumulation of 12" or more. Looks like that band is holding tough for the time being. maybe ever so slightly shifting eastward over time. I could see the Cape getting these heavy snow showers well into the afternoon.

Archived