12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 21/22 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah you'Scooter, Will, GAY, Garth..maybe even Fairfield all beat me this year. Only have 30.7 YTD here. Congrats. It's nice to pass the baton to snow lovers though.

lol.  You are still almost an inch more than me.  I doubt the season will end where I have more than you.  Scott and Scott (messenger), and the cape area are pretty insane this year.

Your going to be like 3-5 on the snow table for New England, which is extremely impressive since we are coming towards the end of January.

I'm guessing close to another inch fell this morning after I left from what it seems. The uber stuff was 5 miles or so to my SE.

It's just some luck..I'm sure it will change for others.

Wow. Congrats. West of the OE affected areas totals only range from 7-10". Half of your storm total will be from OE alone!

Yeah this is why I was happy about this one. This exceeded last storm by a good margin but to the lay person they'll say they were about the same and here's why:

This entire storm fell between 16 and 24 degrees. From the first flake this stuff blew around. Last storm started and was probably 60-70% at or around 29-32. The initial phases of that storm "stayed" better. It also had a sand like consistency that resulted in an average base depth of 7-9" after. That's all there was in that storm at the end and we didn't lose much to compaction.

This storm needed to be measured by the book. I let 13 hours go on the board after the initial 5" measurement. I lost snow. I've been out for some time and will do another measurement shortly but understand I'm adding 5" from last night plus what is on the board now after almost 16 hours.

Yet in reality what will be left on the ground in many areas is the same or even less than last time as we had so much blowing.

This verified as a blizzard IMBY I'm sure. Probably not Otis as they missed the bands and not Plymouth as they missed some of the bands and didn't have the winds.

I'm guessing close to another inch fell this morning after I left from what it seems. The uber stuff was 5 miles or so to my SE.

It's just some luck..I'm sure it will change for others.

I was just going to say, it looks like you missed putting up some ridiculous totals by just a bit.

Still, that location seems to be a winner for these types of setups, snow wise I can't complain either I'm at ~ 3/4th my seasonal total already.

And your right, as the season goes on I'm sure this area will start screwing with precip type and what not while north and west cashes in

I was just going to say, it looks like you missed putting up some ridiculous totals by just a bit.

Still, that location seems to be a winner for these types of setups, snow wise I can't complain either I'm at ~ 3/4th my seasonal total already.

And your right, as the season goes on I'm sure this area will start screwing with precip type and what not while north and west cashes in

Its winters like these that make me wish i lived about 15 miles SE. But most winters I do noticeably better than the So shore as coastal fronts like to set up at the Braintree split during major events before heading north and west. But areas like Brookline do significantly better than me as well during those events, so I'm kind of in between.

Its winters like these that make me wish i lived about 15 miles SE. But most winters I do noticeably better better than the So shore as coastal fronts like to set up at the Braintree split during major events before heading north and west.

Yeah for the large part your better off in the grand scheme of things. So far this has been one of those 1 in every 10+ years that favors cape cod and south shore and southeast ma area.

I'm sure even when all is said and done, north and west cashes in while we rain here. It's usually how it goes.

I'm passing people in nne in terms of snowfall, which I have no business of doing, and I'm sure it won't last

Yeah for the large part your better off in the grand scheme of things. So far this has been one of those 1 in every 10+ years that favors cape cod and south shore and southeast ma area.

I'm sure even when all is said and done, north and west cashes in while we rain here. It's usually how it goes.

I'm passing people in nne in terms of snowfall, which I have no business of doing, and I'm sure it won't last

Well the same thing that helps the S Shore hurts them in more marginal events. I'm in a location that gets some OES, but not prolific enhancements. It is the south Braintree area points east that gets it the best (The marine influence). But that hurts them in other events. My location is a medium in that I will get more snow on the front end versus those areas (storms involving a more marginal coastal front), but the coastal front will almost always screw me the other way too. Areas like Brookline and Newton get very little OES, but they often stay NW of a coastal front, and the ensuing change to liquid that often comes along with it. Not sure how I like it here climo wise haha

Man, what an impressive snowstorm this was here in Norwell. And for once, our town gets mentioned on the local news report lol.. From start to finish, that one band just stayed put over the South Shore and dumped beautiful, fluffy snow. I have yet to go out and take any measurements here but the amount on the NWS page seems pretty accurate, at least considering the duration of the snowfall. I remember watching the radar last night and seeing the snow band shrink by 10:30ish and somehow our tiny little town and a few others nearby stayed in the action, probably due to ocean enhancement. It reminds me of the post January 2005 blizzard when we had another ocean enhanced setup that dumped about a foot here under a brutally cold airmass which led to a glorious school cancellation that day. :) This was definitely a fun storm to track and observe, especially since it greatly exceeded my expectations!

I also want to say, being a first time poster (registered before on Eastern US) that I love the discussions you guys have here and have learned a heck of a lot just from lurking on here. You guys have continued to fuel my passion for meterology, despite not having much to show for it. Well damn, I better start shoveling! 

Man, what an impressive snowstorm this was here in Norwell. And for once, our town gets mentioned on the local news report lol.. From start to finish, that one band just stayed put over the South Shore and dumped beautiful, fluffy snow. I have yet to go out and take any measurements here but the amount on the NWS page seems pretty accurate, at least considering the duration of the snowfall. I remember watching the radar last night and seeing the snow band shrink by 10:30ish and somehow our tiny little town and a few others nearby stayed in the action, probably due to ocean enhancement. It reminds me of the post January 2005 blizzard when we had another ocean enhanced setup that dumped about a foot here under a brutally cold airmass which led to a glorious school cancellation that day. :) This was definitely a fun storm to track and observe, especially since it greatly exceeded my expectations!

I also want to say, being a first time poster (registered before on Eastern US) that I love the discussions you guys have here and have learned a heck of a lot just from lurking on here. You guys have continued to fuel my passion for meterology, despite not having much to show for it. Well damn, I better start shoveling! 

Must be awesome down there! Ground zero

Must be awesome down there! Ground zero

Yeah, it's a beautiful sight to have substantial snow to go with the bitter cold. It'd be nice if everyone got a foot plus, at least those who love this type of weather. Fortunately, there's plenty of winter left to go for those who didn't luck out with this one.

Wonder what the HIngham/S Weymouth folks got. I think I'm going to go with 13.5 at my house.

I live in Hingham, near the Cohasset line, close to 3A. We ended up with around 15-16". Tough to measure given the challenges already discussed here.

I'm a Syracuse grad...remember my days up there and this storm reminds me a lot of what id experience during a lake effect band up there.

Question for the group from a weather novice - is there any credence to the idea that certain areas seem to have "their winter"? This year it feels like the winter of the South Shore (after a crappy 2012).

There's no letup in this snow.  Just pounding.  Last night (and really 3-5 runs worth) had this bend at 8h and elsewhere that I look for when we have an opportunity for prolific OES here. 

At 12z winds were screaming NE at 8h, but by 15z and now 18z we had a bit of convergence and also a thermal gradient evident that has only served to squeeze the moisture out of the air. 

Euro and GFS would have this wrap up in about 2-3 hours, RUC would keep it going a little longer.

Euro really nailed this part of the storm.

Let me welcome you with a :weenie:

I am very jealous of your snow

Archived